Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Client got a great deal on a Dacor 36" hood, but the range they have is 30".
Has anyone ever done this in a new kitchen or remodel. Will it look stupid?
Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clear as mud guys, thanks. :rolleyes:
I like it when the vertical lines of the uppers and lowers match up. The 3" offset might be odd.
Guess I should give the cabinet guy a call and see if they should return this hood.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was no mention made of any stinkin upper cabinets.

Just put a pot & pan rack on either side and call it good.
They have mentioned they want some smelly uppers.
The freestanding range is to be on a continuous wall, centered in an 8' run of cabinetry. Uppers to the ceiling, 8'3". U configuration, with uppers on 2 sections of the u. Cabinets to be ordered this friday.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
It's recommended that the hood be wider and deeper than the cooking surface. Cooking vapors spread outwards in a V shape as they rise and the larger capture area is better to contain them until the fan can suck them away. Often it's much more functional to not have the upper cabinets align with the lowers. The human eye rarely notices it in real life like the eye would see non bilateral symmetry in the uppers around a focal point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's recommended that the hood be wider and deeper than the cooking surface. Cooking vapors spread outwards in a V shape as they rise and the larger capture area is better to contain them until the fan can suck them away. Often it's much more functional to not have the upper cabinets align with the lowers. The human eye rarely notices it in real life like the eye would see non bilateral symmetry in the uppers around a focal point.
^^^ I agree.

The only time I would not recommend it is when it causes the upper doors to have significantly different widths, but that's an aesthetic issue. Form vs function. I especially try to avoid the dreaded 9" wall cab. Of course in that case, the customer will want a raised panel door :blink: ...with cathedral top! :blink:

Reactions: BoGoCo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having a larger hood than the cooktop or range is a good practice so that the vapour from cooking are contained easier.

Many gas cooktops/ranges have a measurement requiring a minimum clearance to combustible material.
The manufacturer of cooking equipment will have this clearance specified in their installation manual. Or at least they should.
Here we have always used 18" from the side of cooktop.... but
I got caught on one home where the distance required was 24" and we had to rework the kitchen at yours truly expense.:eek:
That was back in 2000 and since then we check every cooktop's spec's.
With gas cooking when the flame is on and one uses a large pot, the heat rises on the outer edge of the pot therefor exposing a larger area to the heat.
Upper wall cabinets or light valances are subjected to this heat.
Can become an issue if not careful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Last years post but
If I was using a wider hood I would put 3" fillers either side of the range. It would allow the cabinets to line up and give the option of a larger range at a later date.
It also gives a more open look.
Bill T

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last years post but
If I was using a wider hood I would put 3" fillers either side of the range. It would allow the cabinets to line up and give the option of a larger range at a later date.
It also gives a more open look.
Bill T
That is a great idea! I think it depends on the cabinet style a bit. Lining up the doors and leaving options for the future. I like that!

Ever had a HO get a "great" deal on a high end range hood.....no returns. They are shocked how much they cost blah blah, then you inform them the hood actually doesn't come with the fan/motor. :laughing: Good times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts