Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer is requesting for a 30’x30’ free span carport
That will attach to his existing roof line on his home he has pad already poured and was said to me to be poured thicker on corners . He is using 6” I beam for legs that will be anchored to the slab my question is what size I beam is needed to go from post to post with out having a center support? Would 8” wide flange handle this or would it need to be 10-12?? The I beam box at roof line will be welded to legs . Once the structure is build he will finish out the roof with 15 wood trusses to match house then sheet and shingle

·
Registered
660 Posts
Riiiight. That sounds like a good plan.

Any idea what the anchor bolts look like for the columns? And just how deep are the footings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riiiight. That sounds like a good plan.

Any idea what the anchor bolts look like for the columns? And just how deep are the footings?
I said not possible. But the anchor bolts would be 1/2 to 3/4 and I have no clue on the depth of the pad was just told that it was deeper on the corners for the future project

·
Registered
295 Posts
You probably know that you should have a plan drawn and stamped by an civil engineer. He will want to know how thick the footings are. If you’re not willing to do it the correct way you should not attempt to do the job. Things that can happen are, roof collapse, carport uplifting and flying away, death dismemberment, property loss neighbors property being destroyed, loss of your license, loss of everything you own. On a happier note you could excavate the corners and drill some holes and then decide if you need new footings and have an engineer draw some plans for a few hundred and live happily ever after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
6,671 Posts
Permitted project?
If it fails and kills someone, who’s liable?

Pictures?
Plans?

If you're asking for opinions online, is this project more than you've done before? It's okay if you're new.

But, if you're the H/O just "playin" to see what you can learn through deceit, that would be bad mojo and www.diychatroom.com would be a better fit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No way is this going to be permitted project. Not unless you want to excavate that footer to show to the inspector. You'd also need a licensed design pro to make up drawings, since your doing it in steel, outside of a some backwoods locales, most building departments would not approve without a stamped drawing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on your original post and follow-up responses ... you should pass on this project.
Thank you
You probably know that you should have a plan drawn and stamped by an civil engineer. He will want to know how thick the footings are. If you’re not willing to do it the correct way you should not attempt to do the job. Things that can happen are, roof collapse, carport uplifting and flying away, death dismemberment, property loss neighbors property being destroyed, loss of your license, loss of everything you own. On a happier note you could excavate the corners and drill some holes and then decide if you need new footings and have an engineer draw some plans for a few hundred and live happily ever after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you for the knowledgeable answer..
I’m not new to welding I been in the trade 20 years .. but I’m no engineer. This is not my idea. Nor plan customer called me wanting it done when I told him it was not possible with out center supports he called me a fool for not knowing more about my trade .. I told him if he had it drawn up and approved I’d be more than happy to put it together for him . But for my own think I wanted to join here and just ask to get other’s opinions..

If he is correct and this can be done with out the centers chime in I wanna hear how ?

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
With a properly engineered set of plans, with approoriate footings & hardware and some good size iron spanning 30' aint nothing...

Think of warehouses, aircraft hangers etc....

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Thank you

thank you for the knowledgeable answer..
I’m not new to welding I been in the trade 20 years .. but I’m no engineer. This is not my idea. Nor plan customer called me wanting it done when I told him it was not possible with out center supports he called me a fool for not knowing more about my trade .. I told him if he had it drawn up and approved I’d be more than happy to put it together for him . But for my own think I wanted to join here and just ask to get other’s opinions..

If he is correct and this can be done with out the centers chime in I wanna hear how ?
Sure, it can be done. It can even be done in wood.

However, if the customer is balking at plans and drawings, he obviously isn't worried about doing it correctly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The main concern here is the pad is already poured and no one not even the customer knows the depth or structure of the footing . It’s not a permit job even tho it very much needs to be and there is no plans other than his thinking and sketch art .. if the pad is only 4” this in no way no how will ever work!

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
its not so much the pad itself you need to worry about but what will be required for footings under the columns. They will likely be pretty substantial as will the hold down boats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
if the pad is only 4” this in no way no how will ever work!
Not a problem, just put new footings outside the slab. Engineer will size them up for you.
You're asking the wrong people. You need to ask the customer. Are they willing and able to pay for a proper design in order to then estimate the cost?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts