Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I find one anywhere? Please don't tell me that the fine art of swinging a hammer is dead....I am a gun guy, but a pouch with a handful of eights and spikes needs a real hammer, hehe. The only reason I need a new one is because I de-waffled it. Later.

-oldE

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Biggest I could find locally was a 24oz. I love my mini sledge and it's come in real handy many times for demolishon, but truth be told on more siding jobs than I can count, guy using 16oz and me with my 24oz used the exact number of swings to drive the nails since you can't sink 'em. Get me on a framing detail and it only take me 2 swings to sink a 16d as opposed to 4-5 with the 16oz.

Good luck finding your 30 oz, but that seems like alotta hammer to be swingin, hate to be the guy in the bar that pisses you off ;) :cheesygri

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I-

Thanks for the time responding. I started with a 22ozsmooth, then got my hands on a 28ozwaffle/milled/nurled. whatever..then had to match the boss, which led me to my 30oz waffle estwing..This happened in 1994ish...I'm on my third 30ozer now...I just hate to drive 50 miles to buy a hammer...lol, and who wants to pay shipping for a hammer...later

·
Registered
15 Posts
you could re mill the head? I have used a hacksaw before it took along time though I think I would drive the 50 miles. maybe theirs a better way with a dremel if you have one. I use an 18oz stilleto framing hammer, made out of titanium very light but extremly well balenced, also an exchangable head.I can still drive a 3.5" nail 2 swings no problem, actually I usually set the nail then bam! one smooth smack ,that nail was wishing it was in someone elses pouch that day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts