Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
carpenter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 200 foot long sculpture was covered with a 6" veneer of rhyolite. The material was delivered to the jobsite in the form of boulders ranging in size from 1'-0" to 5'-0" in diameter.

At the end of the six month job I tallied the numbers and was shocked to see that we only set about half the material that had been delivered. That meant that of the 600 tons we had received, about 300 tons of rock was hauled away as waste.

That sounds incredibly wasteful, but the discarded material wasn't thrown away, it was crushed up and used for landscaping.

The masons did an amazing job of fitting the stone together.

Attachments

·
carpenter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a public art/park sculpture built in a relatively new park in Denver. It was paid for by the Gates Foundation (Gates Rubber, not the software giant) as a gift to the city and to promote art in public places.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
very nice work.
kupo,have you ever heard or worked with adair brown of the adair group in denver?
he is a (my)hometown boy who made it good.his dad owned a lumber yard and const company here in alva.my dad did 90% of their work.in fact i started to tear some brick off a wall today,that had been hit by a car last week.the celetex board was marked "made for rbt r brown lumber".probably in the late 50's early 60's.

·
Stonemason
658 Posts
about 300 tons of rock was hauled away as waste.

That sounds incredibly wasteful, but the discarded material wasn't thrown away, it was crushed up and used for landscaping.
Just playing 'Devil's Advocate' here...It's great that the stone itself didn't go to waste, but I just can't get past all that wasteful extra trucking and material handling. Why on earth would you bring in that much material if you had no idea how much you were going to use? Did you not have any input from the mason's as to how much material they might need for the project?

Wonderful that the Gates group funded the project however if this had been for a paying client you'd just be watching your profit drive away with those trucks hauling away your leftovers

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
It sounds like you PRODUCED 300 tons of finished material from 600 tons of raw material. Doesn't sound too far out of line to me. Do you have anymore pics?

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
Let us not forget............

When working with Stone as such, the eye and experience of the Mason dictates what pieces of the "puzzle" work well together. The more pieces available to choose from, the better and more beautiful the end result. So..........I do believe that there was NO overage in the delivery!

Could this wall have been created with MUCH less stone???? Yes! Would the finished product been as exquisite and flowing? Not unless "all the right pieces" were delivered from the get-go.......And what are the chances of that?

You did post, OP, that the "The masons did an amazing job of fitting the stone together."

I am NOT a Mason by any means, but I do understand Artistic Freedom. This freedom is ALWAYS increased when there are more resources and choices available!

·
carpenter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wasteful?

I think the reason it appeared that this project used so much material is that we took the raw material in such large pieces. We could have paid more for more "wall ready" pieces, but that would have meant the waste was created elsewhere. We would have saved on trucking, but taking larger pieces meant we got larger pieces into the wall.
As it was we built it within budget, everyone was happy.
A couple more photos for your viewing pleasure...

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts