Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
It's not my material as I am to lazy to draw diagrams or pretty pictures unless I get paid to do it! haha I am just a messenger with the power of google on this one.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,667 Posts
Ok, maybe I should have compared it to hooking up a gas line to a stove:whistling
Yea, you're getting closer. But most people don't install gas lines with the gas still turned on.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
The diagrams provided here by static are very knowledgeable but if the someone doesnt understand which circuit they have or how that particular circuit works than that person takes a risk of being hurt. This is why some of us hesitate offering too much info. For starters does he know how to diag this problem with a meter and the power off? If they are going to diag the circuit live "not recommended" then they best understand how the circuit works or the risk of harm greaty increases. Electricity is an unseen force that can easily kill. I dont see how bickering about who has a risky profession and who doesnt makes a difference when it comes to offering advice. If the majority of replies to a post give the same reference then maybe that reference should be taken. There is obviously a reason to why.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I look at it this way, a man is going to do what a man wants to do. If he wants to risk his life by not being aware or knowledgeable in a subject matter then that is his problem. This the main reason I post diagrams that a monkey can understand, everyone knows if you don't know anything about electricity then you should ask for help or hire a professional. I am a professional, I join this forum to get help when I need it or provide it when it's needed, oh and too be an ass when I feel like it. :)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My brain hurts! I am familiar with home wiring, but never really took the time to learn about three ways and 4 ways. I think maybe I will study these diagrams and some I have. But, I would have to assemble some on a piece of plywood a few times to really under stand them. I have been hit a few times and very much respect what electricity can do!

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
LOL

I traced the other ones out and they are right. This one with the 4 way is too small for my old eyeballs to make out.

How about one where the power source comes into the box where the 4 way is located.

Google that one!:clap:
I wouldn't post anything incorrect!!! :laughing: I might draw one out for your old man eyes, im just a kid so I can see them. :clap:

Do you want it autocad or ms paint!!!????????? haha

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
One phrase I was taught that made it easy to remember is, "Power comes in on a common, Power goes out on a common."

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I wouldn't post anything incorrect!!! :laughing: I might draw one out for your old man eyes, im just a kid so I can see them. :clap:

Do you want it autocad or ms paint!!!????????? haha
I want it in ms paint like the last one. But I want you to draw the center box which so conveniently has the 4-way switch (all by itself) as the box where the line voltage enters the picture. (Because this along with shared neutrals and other things are what we really deal with every day)

480 Sparky and I will be grading your presentation. (He has older eyes than me kiddo) Hopefully he couldn't read that.

:clap:

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
LoL........ I got bids to work on fool, you know how to do this stuff! I'm tired of giving you cheat notes to put in your shirt pocket!!! haha

I''ll try to tackle it tomorrow, it's almost sleepy time for me....

Edit: I've to do some more thinking as I have never encountered the source being tied into the 4 way, I don't even know if it's possible yet.......... but I'm a noob.......

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I was just messing with you NOOOOOOB.

By the time you stuff that system into a box filled with about 4 or other circuits, it's a wonder any of us sparky's are still alive.:laughing:

Don't spend any time on that drawing, I was just kidding you.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts