Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :mad: :mad:

This seems so absurd, it must be a bad joke. After several months of demo and construction, the countertops were finally put in this weekend. As I went about hooking up the faucets to the supply lines, I found that 3 of the shutoff valves were leaking slightly once I turned them on. THREE!!! One is a (old) supply shutoff valve right underneath the bathroom sink, one is a (old) gate valve to the shower, and one is a (new) ball valve to the kitchen sink. All of them are on cold water lines.

All of them had been shutoff since before demo, but had not leaked at all during that time (or prior to). They are leaking through the stem, not at the in/out connections. I guess I can try replacing the o-ring/washer in the gate and shutoff valves, although of course now they're really incovenient to get to. I'm really pissed about the ball valve, though. I've been using them specifically because I'm sick of leaking gate valves.

Am I missing something? Is there a miracle fix that will save me the pain and agony of wedging myself inside the base cabinets to replace these?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Those should be a simple fix. You need to tighten the packing nut on each valve.That is the nut under the handle that surrounds the stem and on the ball valve you need to remove the handle to get to the packing nut.
Tighten these with the valves open and tighten just a little at a time until they stop dripping...don't crank them!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch, that sounds reasonable. As you may have guessed, plumbing isn't exactly my strength!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts