Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bidding a great room addition on an old 4-square w/wood lap siding, exposure varies from 2-3/4" to 3".

I usually transition to something more modern, but HO wants to match it on the addition.

I mentioned wood, and possibly Hardie (oops...doesn't exist!), vinyl is out.

I like to offer options... Are there any other alternative materials out there for 3" lap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now you got me wondering... I think it's beveled. Better make another trip over there.

I can get the 3" clap in cedar from my yard.. Just wondering if there was any 'low maintenance' alternative other than vinyl.

I might try to talk them into the wolverine(CT) triple 3, only if I can do seamless. Long wall is 22'...

That Ward stuff does look nice though...

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless it's wavy wood, and something like a Hardie lap siding look just rip 8 1/4" or 9 1'4" to get your 4-4.5" siding. Done it before. A pain but on something as small as 4Sq. who cares? Easy maintenance.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
100 years... house is circa 1910... It's in the 'new' part of town:laughing:.

I agree, it should be wood. I'm just afraid they'll choke on the cost...

Ripping 5-1/2 sq of hardie doesn't sound like fun.

They said no vinyl, but if seamless is an option, might be a less expensive second choice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ripping 5-1/2 sq of hardie doesn't sound like fun.
My bad on the 4-Square house, misinterpreted that; but I just ripped a lift of Hardie from 8 1/4" to 7 1/4" because the price of 6" reveal was crazy (because of special order) so I ripped her all down... Burnt through a cheapo ryobi table saw (second one I actually got to light on fire!) but still saved like 800 bucks in the process.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
My bad on the 4-Square house, misinterpreted that; but I just ripped a lift of Hardie from 8 1/4" to 7 1/4" because the price of 6" reveal was crazy (because of special order) so I ripped her all down... Burnt through a cheapo ryobi table saw (second one I actually got to light on fire!) but still saved like 800 bucks in the process.
Did a small addition last winter, same problem special order is ridiculous. Ripped hardie down with a jig and a worm drive. My worm drive still works. Was'nt that bad !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did a small addition last winter, same problem special order is ridiculous. Ripped hardie down with a jig and a worm drive. My worm drive still works. Was'nt that bad !
I rip hardie with the shiiiite ryobi everyday. Got 2 in use usually; burn through one every 4-6 moths, depending on their lemon-ess and last time I pulled a fast one on Home crappo and bought an extended warranty ($9). Brought a burnt one back and first guy said I had to ship out of town (to a smaller city no less) to fix; I balked and asked to speak to a manager to extend my disgust; I was looking good that day all clean shaven et al. and he asked if i used it professionally. I don't usually like doing this but the lie and deny routine worked out. He extended an olive branch and let me take one home with no problems. The funny bit in this is that this guy I actually recognized because he is an old roommate/good friend with my sometime business partner! I've met him once as far as I can remember at the pub. Glad he never recognized me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.