Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who wants to put 3" Polystyrene outside the sheatheing (1/2" plywood) and then add lath and stone veneer. The framing is 2"x6". So you will have the lath with a browncoat over the insulation and then cultered stone mortared to the lath.

The insulation and lath will be either screwed or nailed through the sheathing with long nails.

I'm concerned with the shear strength and pulling away once they add the cultured stone.

Any thoughts?

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
You could have a fairly challenging situation here. Wire ties are made for brick and block installation over rigid insulation, but that is with a foundation. I would guess there is something for a thin stone.

Check with the manufacture, they should have specs and install tips. Maybe a company rep or technical service.

Post an intro and tell us a little about yourself and where you are from.

Welcome to CT.

No need to double post, if you click the new posts button at the top of the page you will catch everything that goes on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You said the insulation will be nailed or screwed to the sheathing, hopefully occasionally hitting the studs (so these nails or screws should be fastened securely to the framing). If you can manage to wire the wire lathe to these nails or screws followed by your normal procedure, I think you might be OK. Might be a little time consuming but a price adjustment should be justified.
jwbennettllc.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You said the insulation will be nailed or screwed to the sheathing, hopefully occasionally hitting the studs (so these nails or screws should be fastened securely to the framing). If you can manage to wire the wire lathe to these nails or screws followed by your normal procedure, I think you might be OK. Might be a little time consuming but a price adjustment should be justified.
jwbennettllc.com

Thanks - I should have said nailed or screw to stud thru the sheathing. I actually did this on a remodel 12 years ago but only 1" insulation - it is still fine. I am a little worried, however, going 3" out as it is a large house (two story) and wondered if the shear would be unworkable out this far.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
2 story oh wow that could be alot of weight hanging out there:sad:
engineer maybe?i would definitely want someone else to sign off on something like that

id worry about vinyl siding fasten that far out from substrate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts