Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone heard of these guys. they can do a kitchen or bathroom in three days. I'm trying to figure out how they can make this claim, how do they demo, replace tiles, install cabinets, plumbing ect,ect. in three days without having people laying on top of each other.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
has anyone heard of these guys. they can do a kitchen or bathroom in three days. I'm trying to figure out how they can make this claim, how do they demo, replace tiles, install cabinets, plumbing ect,ect. in three days without having people laying on top of each other.
It can't be done, unless they are painting over existing tubs, tile etc.

How are they going to get the required inspections?

I bet they won't because they are unlicensed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
`

How does habitat for humanity build an entire house in a week. I always wonder that I bet it can be done but I would like to see the end result and see what gets covered up ect.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
That all depends on their definition of what a "New Kitchen" is, and what a "New bathroom" is. They could simply be interpretting a "Make-over".

Example: Kitchen - Relaminating cabinet fronts & New countertops.

They may be offering services like that, which may not technically require permits.

- Just a thought.....

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think I've seen their trucks running around town out here. It has to be a fast cosmetic re-do. My guess is it's like Earl Scheib's famous price claims.

A bare bones up-grade is three days, but the sales call offers a lot more and a lot longer. Just my guess.

Permits and inspections, demo, all the things we know are involved could not be done in three days on the job.

·
Registered
290 Posts
`

How does habitat for humanity build an entire house in a week. I always wonder that I bet it can be done but I would like to see the end result and see what gets covered up ect.
The habitat for humanity projects around here don't do them quick like that. The "reality" tv shows about those projects done in unrealistic times make me cringe. Especially on the show that has the guy who got a DUI gets done with his pep talk and they have a shot of 150 volunteers workers run toward the house.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The habitat for humanity projects around here don't do them quick like that. The "reality" tv shows about those projects done in unrealistic times make me cringe. Especially on the show that has the guy who got a DUI gets done with his pep talk and they have a shot of 150 volunteers workers run toward the house.
The "Flip This House" show states some incredibly low prices for the last minute rush decisions on things like taking out a load bearing wall.
$1500 added cost, estimated added value $3500, like that.
Makes no sense sometimes.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I checked these guys out. In Minnesota you would need some inspections depending on the work performed.
Demo- install new tops and cabinets only- no inspections.
Add outlet, move sink, open exterior wall- inspections.
I offer a 5 day kitchen- my model would work, but I put disclaimers in it.
Tile add a couple days, remove a wall, add a couple days.
Disclaimer for inspections ect.
Buy I can promise a 2 week start to finish kitchen, that's more honest and reasonable. Its a good sales pitch I think. 3 days? Only for a simple change out.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
3 days? Why so long? Don't you guys have the 1 day guys? They skin the tub and walls... looks nice :laughing:
Just whup out the spray gun and the faux granite texture material and hell, it only takes an hour! The rest of the three days is the drying time! :clap:

·
Century Man
134 Posts
PLANNING, that's how they do it. If the footprint remains the same and a few simple materials as opposed to more exotic which would then add time to the job. Alll materials are on the jobsite at the start. Each task is assigned a certain amount of time. There is no screwing around. It can be done and is being done. The down side to the program is you're buying a franchise however the concept is pretty intrigueing. It's all about effiency of production and scheduling.

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
A guy who used to work for me and I used to say we should give all clients a copy of the movie 'the money pit'.

Every potential remodel customer should watch that movie.
Would it do any good?
Probably not.

"Two weeks!"

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
PLANNING, that's how they do it. If the footprint remains the same and a few simple materials as opposed to more exotic which would then add time to the job. Alll materials are on the jobsite at the start. Each task is assigned a certain amount of time. There is no screwing around. It can be done and is being done. The down side to the program is you're buying a franchise however the concept is pretty intrigueing. It's all about effiency of production and scheduling.
Naw....

I'm the most efficient muther Forker on the planet. Everything you described is how we do business. All of us here know how construction works and we know what can and can't be done, there is no magic genie these guys have captive and whip out on every job...

The only magic is this - Customer -"I'd like an island with a prep sink, a marble insert for baking prep, a drawer dishwasher, a instant hot water dispenser in the sink and a water filtration unit under the sink..."

Mr. 3 day - I can do that, it will take 6 months. In 3 days though I can install some generic ass cabinets, some generic ass corian, give you our standard sink and get you a microwave installed. Now you do have your choice of colors of the micro wave, we have it in black, ebony or charcoal...

Customer- but... but... I want....

Mr. 3 day - sorry mama, this is 3 day, we are a division of Wham Bam Thank You Mama, Inc.

:laughing:

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
answer: 3 day k&b is an Entreprenaurial MYTH that was coined by a book writer who thought he could tile but his busniess failed and he took the shortcummings of his trials and transformed them into a handy dandy trade publication.

`

1 - 20 of 89 Posts