Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a potential Wallet wanting a Western theme detail in the rail system. Western detail as in a stag buck with a full rack of antlers.

Am thinking about 8 '' high. So far I cant find anything like that capable of standing up to the weather. On a google I see all sorts of things, including guns, come out of one of those machines . If it was loaded up with a plastic compound I could paint it.

This Wallet is golden. She has a horse ranch out in the country specializing in breed stock. No one gets on these ponies they are strictly raised for back end big powerful muscle.

I have had no success finding anyone who has one of these machines ,in fact I am beginning to think they are a internet hoax , but I know better after seeing them on tv several times.

JonMon

·
Registered
Remodel
32,241 Posts
This could also be done using EDM (electro discharge machining). You should be able to find someone to do it with one of those, and it can be out of just about any metal plate.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The 3D printers are real. My current helper worked for a 3D printer manufacturer for three years. The problem with the real machines(not the gimmicky hobby ones) is that they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and the models need to be perfect or the printing fails.

What's your desired stock material? I've seen cnc routered and laser cut wood that looks amazing. Metal shops that have the equipment are probably easier to find.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whole buck is only 6'' high.

The antlers are maybe 1 1/2'' with small detail. It's an actual figure, like a doll, placed at the bottom of the bottom rail. In other words it is 3d itself.

I cant see a welder doing that. I tried a wax mold myself with the plan to pore in power creet patch. That didn't work out at all. I am definitely not an Art kinda guy my model was total crude.

J.

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,810 Posts
I'd check with the university's in the area, prolly the only ones with the cash for one of those 3D printers. How you get them to make you one will be a trick tho.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
3D printing is all the rage .... :laughing:I know one guy who has one, he's in Calgary AB Cananananada. Not that wide spread as a piece of equipment, imho

Now you'd need a quality 3D model. "If" you can find a stock model $150-200 for one with decent detial- if there area any. If not you'd have to have one CG'd up. A good 3D artist who does organic modeling 4 hours for something basic more likely a good day for something better.
$150-200, unless you find a sweat CG shop overseas, then maybe 50.
A 3D printed figure will require at a minimum a little set up. If the model is not in the right format (typically the artist uses one type of format and the machine requires another) conversion and clean up. The printing of high quality takes a long time.

Cost effective End result generally is in plastic (generically speaking).

Google Brass Stag Figure is where I'd go

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a neighbor that does that type of thing in several types of materials, like bronze.

He has someone do the sculpt and he creates the molds, heats and pours the materials to be used. After the content has cooled he trims, grinds, sands , or whatever and ads the patina along with the finish color.

If you would like to ask him about your project I can get his info and you two can get together and discuss it.

Bob Fogarty
[email protected]

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Alan !

I knew there were Folks like that.

My piece is in the mix right now. I will have to wait and see but I got a good hit off of this young man all of 18 and geek as buddy holly glasses.

J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts