Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing a pretty big renovation ( 3 baths, 120 sq' of tile (laundry rm) and approx. 1,200 sq' of hardwood. About 40 sq' of it is 3/8" engineered hardwood for the powder room that was existing and I am ripping it out due to some water damage. Issue is I've only done 3/8" in a glue down scenario and my Bostitch flooring stapler is to big for the 3/8". On top of things the floor which carries out from the bathroom throughout the kitchen and foyer area, was previously installed over top of laminate & sheet vinyl. So my question is do I need to purchase a stapler that I can use for the 3/8" or could I get away with shooting 16 or 18mm gauge nails through the tongue along with a little liquid nails on the bottom side?? Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
There is a specific stapler made for 1/4-1/2". I think mine cost around $200. Kinda spendy for 40ft. Not sure if you can rent them.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Home Depot rents them in my area, not sure of the cost? We bought out one of their old rental guns a few years back, never had a issue with it yet! Them guns do work nice and do a fine job! The one we got is a Bostich.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, you need a smaller gun.

x2 on the glue.

On a tiny area 40'sq you could always just blind nail with a 15 or 16 ga finishing nailer.
Just be careful when you place the tip angled on the tongue you have it set just right and dont chip the wood face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just finish 800 sq ft.

I brad nailed the whole thing 18g but didn't glue. Am I in trouble? Use a bostitch. Ill never consider working with 3/8 again. I thought the process took way to long to bid it right. Plus setting it into place and then nailing felt like doing a pergo and hardwood floor at the same time.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Gluing it would have made way more sense than that. The time alone would have made it worth the cost of adhesive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts