Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
commercial
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Im in here because Im looking for the advice of a proffessional flooring installer. I do about 4-5 floors a yr but thats not my trade. I am currently installing a floor that i have not done before. 3/8 x 5" Engineered glue down, there is no spec sheet in the boxes of flooring. I am not sure how much room to leave for expansion. I'm calling the manufacturer tomorrow morning, but before I do that I thought I'd give it a shot in here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Usually without instructions it's the thickness of the product, moisture in slab, humidity maintained 35-55, and moisture content in hardwood is also important.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Engineered doesn't really move. Just make sure shoe mould will cover.
Agreed. We go tight on sliders, stone transitions, stair rail bases, etc. all the time without issue, and that's down here in the swamp.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't believe engineered wood is going to move much either but I will generally adhere to the rule of thumb that the expansion gap at the perimeter is equal to the thickness of the material. But if they want a tight fit to some tile, window wall or whatever I'll just leave a smidgeon gap and putty/caulk/silicon it.

a 3/8" gap looks stupid where there's no trim/molding/base hiding the gap.

·
commercial
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe engineered wood is going to move much either but I will generally adhere to the rule of thumb that the expansion gap at the perimeter is equal to the thickness of the material. But if they want a tight fit to some tile, window wall or whatever I'll just leave a smidgeon gap and putty/caulk/silicon it.

a 3/8" gap looks stupid where there's no trim/molding/base hiding the gap.
i left 3/8 around the walls. theres some stone work around the chimney that meets the floor. im at a heavy 1/8 from away from it, i fill it in.. ill try to post pictures from my phone tommorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts