Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a concrete guy... wall forms is what I do. I plan on building a home this next fall in Wisconsin. I've heard of people forming there basement with plywood and then using the wood on the roof. has anyone ever heard of this. any ideas? good or bad... thanks

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,038 Posts
I personally see nothing wrong with it as long as the plywood is still in sound condition. 3/4 on the roof is a good thing gives the roofing nails something good to hold into. I used 3/4 T/G on my owned made for a nice solid roof.

Back in the day when plywood was not real common 3/4 shiplap boards where use for forming then used for the subflooring.

If regular form ply think I would not put the smooth side up.

PS you might want to go to the introduction section and give a proper introduction of your self, helps a lot around here so we know a little more about you. Welcome to CT

·
Registered
15,569 Posts
I think form work is typically MDO its smooth & made field exterior use. Because it's smooth it would not make a good working surface on a roof, but that's the only problem I can think of.

Going the other way, cdx for a form works but the texture will show through the finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most of the basement will be underground... it doesn't need to be mdo. will the inspector have a problem with a little bit of form oil being on the face? one lite application wouldn't make a difference would it?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
most of the basement will be underground... it doesn't need to be mdo. will the inspector have a problem with a little bit of form oil being on the face? one lite application wouldn't make a difference would it?
Could alway pressure wash it some. Inspector?? guess that depends on where you are at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.. inspector. we have people that come to our projects (inspectors) that are there to make sure you build your house to code or correctly... You can't just do what you want on your own property.

I like the pressure washer idea... I suppose. 100 sheets is a lot of spraying..

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Yes.. inspector. we have people that come to our projects (inspectors) that are there to make sure you build your house to code or correctly... You can't just do what you want on your own property.

I like the pressure washer idea... I suppose. 100 sheets is a lot of spraying..
It would go pretty fast really. Lot cheaper then go buying new stuff.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
wonder if you could sperate the plywood and crete with some plastic sheating. Vegtable oil as a release instead of a petro oil should shut up the inspector and will work

I have seen plenty of form boards used elsewhere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We run into form ply used as roof sheathing quite a lot. Those end up being the sheets that need to be replaced, due to delamination. It's against code here now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
We run into form ply used as roof sheathing quite a lot. Those end up being the sheets that need to be replaced, due to delamination. It's against code here now.:thumbsup:
Even if they're 3/4"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts