Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
The discounts at HD don't seem to make any sense really. I got my Bosch 10.8v impactor for $100 because despite the fact that they were selling like mad everywhere else, the local HD decided that they didn't want to carry them, and cleared them out at 50% off.
In all reality, the plywood was probably fine, just that good of a deal. Why do you think it was all gone?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Taking a guess, - - it was probably for the last one or two damaged sheets, - - maybe even all 'forked' up . . . :laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Maybe 5 ply, full of core voids?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Odds are the sheets looked like poop. I needed a sheet of cherry in a pinch once, I had to go through 13 sheets to find one with a good face that didn't have dends and scratches in it.

If I'm buying $100 plywood, it better be perfect.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Columbia, at least it's a domestic panel. Plain sliced, A-1 another :thumbup:

Not sure of the core though but regardless of the quality and material of the core, that is freaky low price.

Every unit of A-1 has a limit of permissible knock down to shop grade. I think it's around 4 -5 sheets. Usually stamped as such on the end, but if your yard does a "mill run", meaning they swung a deal to buy a certain number of units and agree on the quality standards, they will put any stamp you want on "your" units. So you can't go by what the stamp says as if it's USDA choice or something.

Ya think HD can buy enough goods to get a "mill run"? Prolly.

We all know that nothing beats hand sorting your own sheets because one unit is not the same as the next even from a good yard.

These had to be culled over till they were crap or some brain trust just screwed it up.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,733 Posts
Can't imagine getting any hardwood plywood from HD that would make me want to purchase it. One of the few plywoods I get at HD is there B/C fir. I use it to make benches, carts and some fixtures. For less than $30 it is a good deal.

HD usually sells a "C" grade plywood. I have never seen/heard of a "C" grade Cherry plywood.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Can't imagine getting any hardwood plywood from HD that would make me want to purchase it. One of the few plywoods I get at HD is there B/C fir. I use it to make benches, carts and some fixtures. For less than $30 it is a good deal.

HD usually sells a "C" grade plywood. I have never seen/heard of a "C" grade Cherry plywood.
It says right there "A-1". Ya think they might be playing dirty Leo?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,733 Posts
I've never seen Cherry plywood at HD. We have Birch and Maple and on special occasions we get Oak. All "C"rap grade. Bent, twisted, sand throughs. Not for me.

I guess I didn't study the HD sticker long enough.

Let the Gus and Leo show begin.....

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I use a C-2 rotary mdf cross band 85% white maple for cabinet guts.

Sometimes it looks real sweet, sometimes a little too brown for my liking. But for $45 it's a good panel for interiors and paint grade exteriors. And it's consistent enough thickness for the cnc.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,733 Posts
I mentioned Maple and the tangent is started.

What's the 85% mean?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
85% of the primary face is white.

Sometimes I think the grader doesn't understand the concept. Or he went to take a piss while the veneers are still going by.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,733 Posts
I usually don't have a problem with the front face, but sometimes the 1 or 2 side is horrid. 4" flitches that are drastically different. Especially if it is an A1 and the one side sucks.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Cherry is the worst for that.

You ever have a beautiful face and an ugly backside , Leo:whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,733 Posts
There are a lot of girls in this state that are like that...

Thay was a good slap in the face. I gotta give it to ya.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I purchased some birch from HD about a year ago. The price lured me in. It looked good, had no voids and was nice and straight but the veneer was so thin it was difficult to work with. Beside the venner being thin, I don't think it was fully adhered. No matter what blade I put on my table saw I would get bad tear out. Even if I managed to cut it clean, all I had to do is drag a piece across a bench and a huge piece would come loose. I finally used the last of it on some utility grade garage shelving. No more for me.

Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts