Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you consider this scrap/waste?

I was doing one of my lawns today...they are building a second home on the property.

Anyway, it's common practice here to burn your scrap wood. Dude was throwing 2x8x3 pieces onto the burn pile. I asked about taking some....sure, he says....saves me some work.

Anyway, I loaded about 60 pieces up. I can use it for shop shelves, garden boxes, keeping the ol' lady in line...

If that was my job, and the had 3 feet of scrap left like that, they'd be on a fast track to the unemployment line.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,518 Posts
One mans' trash is another mans' treasure.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Sometimes our supplier will send out longer lengths if the desired length is not in stock. (no charge for the additional length) A pile of 2x8x3 may be of some use for blocking rather than scrapping it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Would you consider this scrap/waste?

I was doing one of my lawns today...they are building a second home on the property.

Anyway, it's common practice here to burn your scrap wood. Dude was throwing 2x8x3 pieces onto the burn pile. I asked about taking some....sure, he says....saves me some work.

Anyway, I loaded about 60 pieces up. I can use it for shop shelves, garden boxes, keeping the ol' lady in line...

If that was my job, and the had 3 feet of scrap left like that, they'd be on a fast track to the unemployment line.
Thats a lot of 3' pieces either someone didn't figure their goesintas right or as loneframer suggests.

Sometimes our supplier will send out longer lengths if the desired length is not in stock. (no charge for the additional length) A pile of 2x8x3 may be of some use for blocking rather than scrapping it.:thumbsup:
You would have thought they could have used most of it in bridging, blocking or whatever. Use that and return the 8' that were supposed to be used for bridging/blocking.

I used to keep a lot of scraps....now most of it gets burned. My piles kept gowing and eventually ended up getting burned anyways...now I just skip a step.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I probly wouldn't have throw them away. I try to always use up what I can, unless it involves cutting corners. I'll spend a few extra minutes planning my cuts a lot of the times. And if say I needed some 2x4 blocking I'll rip down what ever scrap I have.

Dave

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
hate to burn money, but how much land do you have to own to store all the 'might be useful' stuff you wind up with?

More than a few 3' cut-offs is poor estimating.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
i save some left over half sheets and useable laegth of alot of things, some get used eventually, some collect dust, warp, and take up valuable space in my garage.

i used to take anything i thought i could use, the last few years i am very selective to what can be used soon and what is trash... i have lined my garage and basement walls in shelves built by leftover pieces, but all my projects are done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts