Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time working with this crap. It is a 2x4 stud with rigid foam and osb strips glued to it. Just wondering what the proper name for it is, I tried using google but came up empty handed.

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
I take it you are referring to traditional framed wall sheathed with foam & then they attached osb strips for nailing or to act as a supposed rain screed detail?

I don't think there is an official name & I am sure there might be a few regional terms but I would say crap sums it up quite nicely - one term I know of is burglars delight, who needs to go through the door or window?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a 2x4 with 2" rigid foam glued to it, and 1/2" OSB glued to that bringing it to the same dimensions as a 2x6. The wood faces out to nail the sheathing to and the foam and osb faces inward. I will get pictures of it tomorrow.

This is my first time working with the stuff and it sucks. The quality is worse than standard studs, the osb and foam gets crushed and broken, the foam falls off if you look at it wrong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is it something that is just supposed to increase the R value of your framing by basically sticking the foam in the middle of a stud? Eliminates thermal transfer? Sounds awful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can think of better ways to achieve whatever their goal is in using that. That just sounds like a pain in the butt. So when you fasten sheetrock to the studs, so do you have to use extra long screws to go through the OSB and foam and into the stud, or just screw to the OSB? Why not just build with ICF?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what I was thinking earlier, I would hate to be the guy hanging board on it. 3" screws?

The other issue is when tying the corners of the walls together, there isn't much nailing because of the foam.

Some idiot architect is probably making a killing on this crap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What is the proper name for it? What did the delivery tag say?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
That's it! That looks like a much higher quality than what we are dealing with but same thing. Those ones look like the plywood and foam is glued and screwed too.
Looks like 1 1/8 or better osb or whatever it is too, probably good enough to screw most things to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure the proper name, that is what I am trying to figure out. It was there before I got on the job.

The stuff in the picture could be 1 /18, but ours isn't. If it was that thick it would protect the foam better and mean less damage to the foam when building. I will get pics up at 4 or so when I get home.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm sure it's a PITA with learning curve, but performance wise that is a great idea...... if you have ever seen a thermal imaging photo of a home in the winter you can see the skeleton of the studs from the heat transfer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It isn't much different than working with standard lumber, besides the fact that the foam breaks off way too easily. I would say this definitely slows down production a bit, especially when everything is frozen together or to the deck. Personally, I wouldn't buy a house built with this stuff. I would prefer 2x6 construction with foam on the sheathing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts