Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what some of you other guys use for stair stringers. I use 2x12 if there is not an issue with head room below the stairs. Makes a strong set of stairs but it seems the majority of framers around here use 2x10.
Allot of times I'm not in the norm.
I always build 16 oc as well. 24 oc is just not worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
Wow. If you have to pick up headroom by using a smaller stringer, that is one tight house. I sure hope your talking about closed stringers. There is no way your gonna notch a 2x10 out and have enough meat left.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but he's worried about 24 in centers :whistling
I have had a tight area that required the use of 2x10's in a remodel job that the inspector would not grandfather. I think you missed the part were I said I use 2x12 stringers.:laughing:
But seriously Im one of only a few who use 2x12 stringers in new construction in my area.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
In the last bunch of houses I framed, we had the stairs pre-fabbed by a stair building company. They were all built with two Timberstrand stringers, one on each end giving it a three foot span for the treads.

But if I'm building the stairs myself for a house, I use 3 - 2x12's for a three foot wide stairwell.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
the last 8 staircases I built I ripped down 6 12" strips of advantech glued ,screwed and clamped them together and used that for stringer material.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I have cut and installed hundreds of stairs with 2x12's, 3 per set, In the last couple of years I have used the timberstrand or lvls because that is what the builder wanted . I am not sure it is better. I don't think I have ever used 2x10 for stringers.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
I have cut and installed hundreds of stairs with 2x12's, 3 per set, In the last couple of years I have used the timberstrand or lvls because that is what the builder wanted . I am not sure it is better. I don't think I have ever used 2x10 for stringers.
the next set Im doing Im switching to timberstrand. I know using ply/osb stringers there is virtually no deflection or sag over time like dimensional lumber will do eventually. Cuts are nicer and easier to jig.

·
Civil / Structural PE
88 Posts
sawn vs. LVL

Here's my two cents...

A 2x Doug Fir #2 has an allowable bending stress of about 1,000 psi.

An LVL has an allowable bending stress of about 2,500 psi, more than double the 2x.

An LSL has an allowable bending stress of about 2,300, still more than double that of a 2x.

And a PSL has an allowable bending stress of about 3,000 psi - 3 times the 2x.

If they were my stairs I would spec 11-1/4" LVL or LSL at 24".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts