Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a 1 ton dump truck, initially was searching for a 4x4 but came across a great deal on a 2wd. Don't know if I should bite the bullet or if the 4x4 is worth saving a few extra grand for. What're your guys thoughts/experiences on this? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,719 Posts
I'd go 4x, but that's me.

What type of job conditions do you usually encounter?

Do you work in the winter & if so do you get snow?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've worked out of both. 4x4 is a must when working with heavy equipment. carring diesel, jumping batts.... A person could be on the side of the hill at the time. We also pulled a huge air compressor ,for drilling rock, and 4x4 came in handy.
Doing carpentry 2 wheel was fine. If the weather was that bad we didn't work anyway. Most of the time the drive was already in. Gas was better.
Do you pull a mixer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mostly do residential jobs in the spring through late fall. The only time I could see it being a problem is delivering material such as top soil or mulch.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,951 Posts
I've been in a lot of situations with a pickup that would have meant trouble without 4wd. A dumper is likely to get you into even more of those.

And NYawk state? Yeah, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Rarely ever had the need for 4wd and that was only in the winter or in the spring thaw. When on soft ground just keep your right foot out of it and creep along and you're fine.
And does it have posi? Some guys I know would rather have a 2wd truck with posi than a 4wd without

Are you doing a lot of landscaping or do you do housing? If you do landscaping I could see it...housing...not really. Nice to have but not even close to necessary.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you can find a good deal on a 2wd I'd take it. From what it sounds like you aren't doing anything too crazy with it. Remember its a 2wd and you'll be fine... I've never had a time I NEEDED 4wd in a work related situation, its nice for driving in during snowstorms but not necessary. Also keep in mind the 4x4 brings more maintenance and expensive parts plus additional weight.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
I use a 2x4 most of the time. when the weather is bad I throw in my cables and chains , get around fine, Just have to remember you don't have 4x4 is all.

I would admit that a 4x4 would be nice at times, just lot of extra cost most of the time to buy and own.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would never consider anything but 4x4. The extra money you spend you'll get back when you sell it. Its hard trying to sell a 2wd in my area, nobody wants them.

The heavy maintenance cost comes from the guys who dont know the proper time to use the 4x4. Driving around on dry pavement, turning while locked in , ect. Use it properly and it will never cause you any issues.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
You can get stuck in a 1 ton on wet grass. 4x4 is a must in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I would never consider anything but 4x4. The extra money you spend you'll get back when you sell it. Its hard trying to sell a 2wd in my area, nobody wants them.

The heavy maintenance cost comes from the guys who dont know the proper time to use the 4x4. Driving around on dry pavement, turning while locked in , ect. Use it properly and it will never cause you any issues.
Brakes wear quicker on a 4wd, tires, suspension from having to the extra weight of a diff and driveshaft....Not talking abuse, just regular wear.

I would really look for posi/limited slip over 4wd

·
Registered
106 Posts
4x4 is a must for a small dump. If your doing any kind of hauling that thing will be like driving a stick of butter once you dump the weight from thr bed. Most places you dump things ussualy leave you in a mud puddle with a now empty bed and no traction. Out one ton is worthless when empty because all the weight is on the front axle, Cummins.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Brakes wear quicker on a 4wd, tires, suspension from having to the extra weight of a diff and driveshaft....Not talking abuse, just regular wear.

I would really look for posi/limited slip over 4wd
What does a diff and transfercase weigh? Probably no more than a couple bags of concrete.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What does a diff and transfercase weigh? Probably no more than a couple bags of concrete.
Regardless most of that is unsprung weight. Nothing thats going to cost you much more in maintenance than it would cost you to have your one ton extracted from the mud by the local tow company.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have 2x4s and 4x4s. We pull pretty big trailers (20cy dumps). We have never got stuck in the landfill, but we always have commercial ratchet straps on hand if we do. The only time I got stuck with my 4x2 chassis cab was when I went to Moore OK to help after the tornado. I tried to run across about 50' of muddy grass, and I just stopped about half way through. Again, ratchet straps saved me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
One other thing- Someone said you were in NY? Didnt see that in your profile. I have lived in Maine, and with the snow a 4x4 does make sence.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts