Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is best ,i like the idea of having more set up time but ive heard that the hotmelt does not last long and clogges up.mitermate is great but you only get one shot at sticking it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,010 Posts
I feel your problem. For miters I don't use 2P-10, just not enough time to get it perfect. Especially with prefinished. I use Tite Bond II and 23 gauge nails. Fill them with Mohawk Fil-Stiks.

I use 2P-10 for a lot of things. But crown miters is one I don't like to do. If it was 2P-20 I'd use it.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I feel your problem. For miters I don't use 2P-10, just not enough time to get it perfect. Especially with prefinished. I use Tite Bond II and 23 gauge nails. Fill them with Mohawk Fil-Stiks.

I use 2P-10 for a lot of things. But crown miters is one I don't like to do. If it was 2P-20 I'd use it.
don't spray the activator and it's 2P-30 :blink:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,010 Posts
I basically use the thick. And without the activator I get bored waiting around for it to set. TB II sets quicker most of the time.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The trick with 2P10 on crown miters (or any miters) is line up moulding (nested) at the long point and fold it together. Takes a bit of finesse first couple times, but once you get used to it, it's second nature. I've also found that when spraying the activator on the first piece then gluing the other piece while it's flashing off, you get a better bond.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
I use 2p10 for a lot of things. I love it! mitred casing joints, outside baseboard corners, temporarily holding jig pieces till I can screw or clamp them, re-attaching missing body parts, cuts, etc. With the hot melt system I find it hard to keep up with the shelf life of the product

·
Registered
746 Posts
If and whenever possible I pre assemble. For crown I glue the miter and pin with 11/16" 23 gauge brads. I then flip the assembly carefully and stitch the back with 1/4" 22 gauge upholstery staple straddling the back of the miter. At the long points if there is room on the moulding I add a couple more in and X pattern. The assembly gets attached to the cases with either 23 or 21 gauge brads. In place I touch up nail holes with the proper color wax.

Attachments

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I use the p-210 all the time for crown returns etc. Ya, it's a bit too fast for me, but I figure what the heck, it's a good solution.

I bought the "medium" recently, big mistake, it's just soaks into mdf way too much to get a good bond. The thick seems to be the one to use.

I put it on, then I flatten it a little bit with a small stick, then spray the other piece, then caaarrreeeffffullllyyy hinge them together.

It sure would be nice if I had another 20-30 seconds to move stuff around to get the miters exactly lined up, as some days my shakes won't allow me to get it right the first time. Probably why I buy an extra 10% crown on any job LOL

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does anyone know what its exterior rating is. I use it alot when doing soffit crown and other cornice type trim. We still pin the corners together as well but that stuff is nice for pre-assembly.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,010 Posts
Use the 2P-10 as a clamp. Couple of drops on either end and the rest a weather resistant glue. Th 2P-10 allows the glue to dry and hold and then it doesn't matter what happens to it out in the weather..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts