Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
That makes no sense, why didn’t breaker trip?
A 15-amp breaker won't trip as soon as it gets to 15.000000000000000001 amps. A 15-amp breaker can hold a 20-amp load for hours. When loads (like a window shaker) cycle on and off, the load can drop below 15 amps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Depending on which state and jurisdiction the original poster is in he may be able to do that work as a G.C. Here in VA, I am able to replace fixtures ( outlets, switches, lights, fans, etc.) as G.C.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
A 15-amp breaker won't trip as soon as it gets to 15.000000000000000001 amps. A 15-amp breaker can hold a 20-amp load for hours. When loads (like a window shaker) cycle on and off, the load can drop below 15 amps.
I would think the startup would make it trip, do you know what the startup draw might be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I would think the startup would make it trip, do you know what the startup draw might be?
I wanted to give an update on the outcome of my situation. The fire department deemed the fire caused by faulty electrical wiring. I insurance company nor the homeowner believes that I had any involvement in that. The homeowner and me are meeting Monday to find out what it will take to get the house back into livable conditions.

I appreciate everybody’s comments and advice. Though when someone’s livelihood is involved and the well-being of how we can provide for his family is in Jeopardy and that person reaches out to get advice from fellow peers, I Slapstick comments and speaking from experience is an appropriate we’re professionals and we should act like professionals. Not only on the job site in.

I believe I found a very good tool that I will be able to use to better serve my customers and my community.

Thank you all for your time and consideration in this matter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I wanted to give an update on the outcome of my situation. The fire department deemed the fire caused by faulty electrical wiring. I insurance company nor the homeowner believes that I had any involvement in that. The homeowner and me are meeting Monday to find out what it will take to get the house back into livable conditions.

I appreciate everybody’s comments and advice. Though when someone’s livelihood is involved and the well-being of how we can provide for his family is in Jeopardy and that person reaches out to get advice from fellow peers, I Slapstick comments and speaking from experience is an appropriate we’re professionals and we should act like professionals. Not only on the job site in.

I believe I found a very good tool that I will be able to use to better serve my customers and my community.

Thank you all for your time and consideration in this matter.
Now having said that what does the group recommend that I do now proceeding forward? I would appreciate some Advice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Now having said that what does the group recommend that I do now proceeding forward? I would appreciate some Advice.
We are a group of individuals. What one says is not what another will agree to.
My opinion is a full rewire. Manufactured homes of that age are not known for there quality of construction. Insects rodents and structure failure could all play a part in the degrading of the electric system. After 2 fires I don't see how the insurance company will still insure the home without a full clean bill of health from a licensed electrician.
If they are not willing to do the electric system upgrade you should walk away. Or maybe run.
Also after 2 fires I think my insurance company would be looking with the thought of dropping me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts