Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bidding a job redecking a 6' x 26' porch. I haven't worked much with composite. They want Trex with the hidden fasteners. My question is can you have a butt joint with this system? Or do you have to run a piece perpendicular in the middle to divide the deck into two?

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I'm bidding a job redecking a 6' x 26' porch. I haven't worked much with composite. They want Trex with the hidden fasteners. My question is can you have a butt joint with this system? Or do you have to run a piece perpendicular in the middle to divide the deck into two?
Depends what clips you using, Phantom Fasteners have a butt Joint fastener which eliminates the need to double up the joists and use two fasteners at one joint.
I'm sure others have them also, check with the manufacturer...

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
Riverbg, use the FastenMaster Tiger Claw TC-G clips and scrails. Tiger Claw makes a clip that is reversed so you can use it on a butt joint without doubling the joist. It allows two clips to fit on one joist. It's called a butt clip. Even if you have to purchase the gun it will save enough time and back pain to make it worth it for one deck. And you will always have it for the next.

For the record the gun will shoot both

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
With this style of trex clip, Yes.
I would like to point out that if you use the Trex nylon clip for butts then you should use the same clips for the rest of the deck. The reason is there's a slight difference between the tc-g gun clips and those nylon Trex clips spacing. It's not much but it could cause the butts to bulge slightly.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have doubled up the joists at the butt joint points, just plan ahead.

I have used Camo fasteners, Trex plastic clips, Tiger clips and the regular steel clips. I can not say I love one more than another, the Camo can be a bear sometimes but you are not trying to beat a board under the clip, but you have to watch it, the Camo can cause the board to shift because you are basically toe'ing in the deck board.

Each has their own benefits and disadvantages. Cost is not the only thing to consider.

If you use PT for the framing, I recommend Deckseal to go over the joints. Not much cost overall but seals the screws and helps to prevent rot on the joists.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I am building a deck that is picture framed all the way around right now and is around a oval pool. It sucks azz bad! Especially because the HO is a co-worker and wanted to put down the composite boards himself. He went with Camo fastners due to cost and Choice Deck, it is working OK but I will not have a HO assist ever again. Plus, not a big fan of Choice Deck, scratches way too easy.

Bid big IMO

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
I am building a deck that is picture framed all the way around right now and is around a oval pool. It sucks azz bad! Especially because the HO is a co-worker and wanted to put down the composite boards himself. He went with Camo fastners due to cost and Choice Deck, it is working OK but I will not have a HO assist ever again. Plus, not a big fan of Choice Deck, scratches way too easy.

Bid big IMO
HO owner isn't allowed to work with me, period. Trust me I know how to make them wish they were inside watching Jerry Springer.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
One more question. With the clips will Trex hold up well in high elevation northern climates?
I would say there would be more issue with heat then cold. But that's just speculation. It's not uncommon for my area to get 107 degrees at least two or three times a year here. I say this because heat creates expansion vs. Contraction in the cold.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
I think trex claims they are nylon.
Trex offers both, nylon and stainless. The nylon ones are put in by hand, the stainless are Trex branded and are shot in with a gun, and are made by FastenMaster. The FastenMaster TC-G clips will work for Trex as well. They are a universal fastener that work with several brands. However because they aren't Trex branded with the logo they are appro. 20-30% cheaper (here anyway). They will not void the Trex warranty either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts