Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25 years ago tomorrow at about 10 a.m. I signed my first contract with a paying customer. I remember driving away with contract in hand thinking: “Now you’re a professional”.

Before I got home I thought: “Maybe I should get some insurance.” My next thought was: “Maybe I should get a license”.

All got done on April 4th, 1989.

Sometimes I wish that first customer had told me to get a real job. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
28,848 Posts
Congratulations, dude. Thats awesome.

Reactions: DaVinciRemodel

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Congrats on your 25th...it's a tough racket as many of us know ;)

I'm sneaking up on ya,...went public Jan 1991 at the ripe age of 26.

1st job was a double decker and some interior drywall repairs.

Don't laugh, it's how we did our beams back when and I can happily tell ya it's still standing today :laughing:

Attachments

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Congrats on 25:thumbsup: 23 for me soon. A cell phone was the size of a briefcase and drills,saws that didnt require an extension cord were a fantasy for the most part when i started

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Congrats on your 25th...it's a tough racket as many of us know ;)

I'm sneaking up on ya,...went public Jan 1991 at the ripe age of 26.

1st job was a double decker and some interior drywall repairs.

Don't laugh, it's how we did our beams back when and I can happily tell ya it's still standing today :laughing:
That looks like a kid friendly back yard :eek:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Heart felt Congrats!!!

Still going after 25 years, I mean it!

Did my first paying gigs late '84.... by 89 was framing houses and had a bag phone-that honked the horn on the truck.

Just think about all you've been through, how things have changed, all the highs and lows....:laughing: and you still keep going :whistling

Cheers!

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
That looks like a kid friendly back yard :eek:
Funny you should say,...I remember backing the truck down there with a load of stone and broke traction along the way. Nearly chit my pants and had to turns sideways to break the slide. Can you imagine biting the bullet on your first job...

Needles to say, I didn't pull the truck there after that :laughing:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Congrats.My GF has told me several times over the years to "get a real job."Been about 40 years for me.Sometimes for someone else but usually on my own.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on 25:thumbsup: 23 for me soon. A cell phone was the size of a briefcase and drills,saws that didnt require an extension cord were a fantasy for the most part when i started
You’re right – I didn’t even think about those things. Thanks for reminding me – I think :eek: :laughing:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heart felt Congrats!!!

Still going after 25 years, I mean it!

Did my first paying gigs late '84.... by 89 was framing houses and had a bag phone-that honked the horn on the truck.

Just think about all you've been through, how things have changed, all the highs and lows....:laughing: and you still keep going :whistling

Cheers!
I had a bag phone also. Didn’t honk the horn, but I had a pager so my wife could page me to tell me to call home. Those were the days :eek:

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
But how nice was it to have to privacy without constant contact. Go to work all day, people respect your time and leave a message. The woman knows you must be busy. And the conversations were better when you saw someone.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I remember getting my first beeper! I never answered it!

On April first my boss calls and says you need to help me take my dryer out of the house!

Whys that it's new!

A kitten got inside and I turned it on!!

Me thinking who does this it's an April fools joke had to retaliate!

My wife being close to giving birth called him and told him simply have him call me ASAP!!!

He beeped me every minute fearing my wife was giving birth!!

I pulled up in his driveway to see a dryer sitting there!!!! Doh it wasn't a trick after all the stupid ass killed his cat!!

He came running out screaming at me my wife's giving birth!!

I was like dude I thought you were screwing around it was my retaliation!

Who would joke about something like that he says!!

I said who wouldn't hear a cat in the dryer !!!!

I felt kinda bad, but 8 days later my daughter was born, I don't do April fools anymore even though it is my birth month!!!

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
I used to do a lot of work in Newark and the best thing about a pager was what you were going to find at the phone booth. Would the handset be there? What would be smeared on the handset? What would I be standing in? And then the office phone would be busy.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
But how nice was it to have to privacy without constant contact. Go to work all day, people respect your time and leave a message. The woman knows you must be busy. And the conversations were better when you saw someone.
I remember the thrill of getting home after a long day of working and rushing to the answering machine to count the flashes hoping they were all new opportunities and approvals. Then being tethered to the phone cord returning all the calls. My $10/week ad in the local paper was the best advertising I ever had....hands down.

Ahhh! the good old days, I also remember many a frozen burrito or Ramen noodles for dinner because I had no idea what I was worth. I haven't had a frozen burrito for at least ten years, come to think of it, I really do miss those days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts