Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently working on a LED lighting display for our hockey team. The issue being is that the run from the control booth is 225 ft. The LED is 24V and is a total of 80 watts usage. I would like to run the wire from the current location where its controlled in the booth. Anyone here be able to tell me the size of 24Vpower supply I would require to push that power and have enough to light up the LED without a huge voltage drop. I was going to use 16AWG wire from the power supply to the beginning of the LED run which consists of 20 AWG wired strips Thanks for your help

·
Registered
54 Posts
12 ga (not looped) will give you roughly 2.4V drop along the run which may or may not be acceptable given the output transformer and the range of the lights.

80W*225ft/7500 (12ga constant)=2.4V

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Power supplies don't push power, you size them larger than or equal to the draw. If your load is 80 watts than you need a minimum 3.4A 24V PS or about a 100VA. That's a long run for 24V, even with 12AWG I'd expect a 5% voltage drop which should be fine....but if you can run 120V there and put the transformer at the light end that would be ideal.

Reactions: CCW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts