Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently working on a LED lighting display for our hockey team. The issue being is that the run from the control booth is 225 ft. The LED is 24V and is a total of 80 watts usage. I would like to run the wire from the current location where its controlled in the booth. Anyone here be able to tell me the size of 24Vpower supply I would require to push that power and have enough to light up the LED without a huge voltage drop. I was going to use 16AWG wire from the power supply to the beginning of the LED run which consists of 20 AWG wired strips Thanks for your help

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Power supplies don't push power, you size them larger than or equal to the draw. If your load is 80 watts than you need a minimum 3.4A 24V PS or about a 100VA. That's a long run for 24V, even with 12AWG I'd expect a 5% voltage drop which should be fine....but if you can run 120V there and put the transformer at the light end that would be ideal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.