Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house we're working on is a 1950's hip roof with brick foundation that is 24' wide. I need to remove the 24' end wall (exis. Hip roof lands on it) to open the space. 1. Will any combination or lvl clear span the distance. 2. The new bearing points will be at the corner of exis. Foundation can I transfer load through exis. Foundation under pinning if necessary. Really can't pour new footings for posts due to the intrusion in the future kitchen on main floor. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I just read a rant on that I would never hold anyone liable just kind of fishing for ideas maybe someone had a similar situation....if that was opened up would there be a lack of lateral support there now, even though just extending structure

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
I don't think you are going to clear span 24' with an lvl. Most of the time, when we get beyond 20' spans, we end up with steel.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Have your lumber yard spec some LVL's, you may have to use two or three of them bolted together. What type of roof are you putting over the new area? If you are going to add rafters along the new wall and then do a new hip I would remove all old hip rafters thereby eliminating the need for bearing below.
dave

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
This might be a good application for an engineered wood girder. SHifting the load to the walls by reframing the roof, as already suggested, makes any foundation questions moot, and simplifies the header aspects as well. There is still shear to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
You can try and doll this question up with all the perfume, short skirts and high heels you want.......:laughing:

It still boils down to consulting an Engineer.....:whistling

This is the sort of stuff they make a living on....:thumbsup:

Save yourself a bunch of headache and hire one.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad I posted this, I was stuck in the post beam train of thought. Just take the hip back to the common trusses and then run the hip on out ok you by-the-bookers don't worry I plan on getting an engineer for this I just enjoy solving those sorts of problems..oh and I'm glad somebody got the CAD joke, man, some of you gotta loosen up a little

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just looked up and an actual drafter and designer (Scipio) didn't recognize hand drawn prints, how do you think it was done before computers. I really enjoy hand drawing not bad for no training a used table and a 6 dollar ruler

1 - 15 of 15 Posts