Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
If they are willing to pay for the estimate i will go 2hrs. There are far too many roofers around my location for me to need to travel more than that, i usually tell them to find someone more local. I looked at a Calabasas on Saturday, that was 90 miles from me. I was going to ventura anyway to visit family so it was on my way.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Roof repair, Time and material including travel, so what ever they are willing to pay, we've went out 2 hours one way before. It doesn't happen very often though. Generally 45 mins to an hour one way is about as far as the customer is willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
we specialize in slate and tile roof work.

we cover 5 counties- but in practical terms it means we cover a radius of up to 75 minutes.

we charge a service call plus a 10 slate/tile minimum which means it will cost over $500 for us to show up and do any work---------------------------------- in reality most of our smaller jobs will be at least $2000.

for it to work for us we need to maintain a stock of salvaged slate and roof tile dating back to the 1850's through the 1950's

today I have 2 men 2 counties away buying salvaged slate which we will re-cut into sizes we need.

google street view is our friend ,because we can usually see the house in question and identify the tile BEFORE we drive out to make the sale.

It's always helpfull to arrive at a sale bringing samples of the ceramic tile your competition has told the homeowner is simply not available, LOL
Stephen

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
It can't be, I'm the best roofing contractor in the industry.
No way my mom told me that i'm the best roofer in the industry

Reactions: jlsconstruction

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
My mom and my kid say IM the best!! I have jobs scheduled out as far as 2030.

My daughter said "mama, you make the prettiest roofs! When I grow up I'm going to let you put the roof on my princess house...." I said, "aw, ok! & I won't even charge you!" Then she said, "but mama... you are going to need a bigger ladder"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the above, I think this would depend of the size of the job and if they are willing to pay for the estimate. 2 hours is a long way!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts