Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a remodeling contractor wiring a 220v shallow well pump with a pressure switch and expansion tank on my own home. The question is both the pressure switch and well pump say they are 220v but they both have two leads (the pumps are black and white) what do I do with the red wire(no jokes :laughing: please)?Do I splice the two hots together?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Last time I wired a pump was for my septic. I dont want to make any jokes but did you know your red wire is where you get your 220? Do you even have a multi meter so you can see what you're doing? No one would know how to wire it better than the manufacturer, usually just takes a simple phone call.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After pouring over the instruction manuals, manufacturers websites, Google, Bing, You tube, talking to the guy at Lowes and posting my issue here but getting no clear answer, I broke down and called one of my electricians. Turns out you don't use the neutral(white wire) at all Just the two hots (red and black) the black and white wire coming out of the pump threw me. Thanks for the reply anyways.:):)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yeah if you hooked the black and white from your power source up to the motor then you would only be getting half the voltage it needs. I had a licensed electrician do this not knowing what the heck he was doing. You should still be checking it with a voltage tester though so can see what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
The white wire if it truly comes from the manufactured pump is white for a reason. Sorry, but I gotta do this.:sad:

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.