Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a flooring contractor in San Diego. I know very little about electricity, how it works or why it can hurt me if I poke it with a stick, I just know that it will.
I am going to be taking on sanding jobs requiring the LÄGLER 'Hummel' Belt Sanding Machine. The link shows the technical data/ electrical specs. I am looking for advice on how to deal with the 220 requirements in homes without 220 outlets.
My preference is to convince my volt-deficient customer why hiring a local pro (anyone here from San Diego?) to connect a permanent 220 outlet is a brilliant idea. But I need a well-reasoned statement that conveys that message. Any ideas? What would you charge for such a job?
But, because that may not always be an option, I'd like to learn how to safely connect the 4 wires of the extension cord to the fuse panel. I watched a non-electrician get the piss shocked out of him while performing such a maneuver. Apparently it is a regular occurrence for him. I suppose he is content with the knowledge that he doesn't get shocked everytime. Myself, I can not imagine a future which includes occasional electrocution.
So, is it practical to think a professional electrician, compensated for his time, might teach me how to safely connect the cord to the box? If you received such a call, what would you say? and charge?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...KILLED in an instant!
I appreciate your reply, MALCO! I bet the folks you want to thump are probably already burnt to a crisp. I'd save the gas and concentrate on the numbskulls in your area.
It was the idea of 'instant death', which you mentioned, that gave me pause in the first place. Perhaps foolishly, I was hoping to get affirmation on the idea that if an electrician can be taught how it is done, perhaps I could be taught how it is done.
It can be done, can't it?

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
I appreciate your reply, MALCO! I bet the folks you want to thump are probably already burnt to a crisp. I'd save the gas and concentrate on the numbskulls in your area.
It was the idea of 'instant death', which you mentioned, that gave me pause in the first place. Perhaps foolishly, I was hoping to get affirmation on the idea that if an electrician can be taught how it is done, perhaps I could be taught how it is done.
It can be done, can't it?
Simply and Easily without Pause or Reservation, it can be done ................IF you Truly understand Electricity and the "Fuse Box".

I am, by no means a Professional Electrician, but.......................

I do the sort of thing you speak of almost daily.

Ask someone at a Jobsite. They will show you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record

If anyone here tells you how to do this...!
Perhaps I should clarify that I do not seek a fast 'n nasty, step-by-step instructional post from some Johnny NineVolt. Anyone who attempts such a thing can expect a quick and certain snap-kick, special delivery from MALCO and I.
Although, I will be many steps behind MALCO. He doesn't need my help.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
Perhaps I should clarify that I do not seek a fast 'n nasty, step-by-step instructional post from some Johnny NineVolt. Anyone who attempts such a thing can expect a quick and certain snap-kick, special delivery from MALCO and I.
Although, I will be many steps behind MALCO. He doesn't need my help.
Just because I have a Bruce Lee AVATAR, does not make me he!

But I thank You for the compliment.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
It would be pretty cheap to have someone come in and temp you an outlet just for the project.
Tell the customer that you need the 220 for you to do your job.
COST should not be a part of the equation when a person's life is - potentially - at risk....but in the real world, cost is always a consideration.

It may be possible for the OP to have an EC connect a temp 220 line as needed on a job-by-job basis....
"pretty cheap"? By whose standard?
Think about it..at least 2 trips, including drive time and actual work time...

They dont have a dryer or stove that is electric?
I do not.

When I had my floors refinished....I am glad I wasn't here when they connected to my FPE main [all circuits were glass fuses]....they actually connected to the LINE side of the CB - their circuit was NOT protected at all.

Had they informed a 220v 30A line was needed, I would have made the request a reality ~ after all, I am a licensed EC in NJ.

But they didn't....and they were lucky no one got baked.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'll tell you how to do it :party:

Have an electrician build you:

A) A small, two space panel with a dryer cord feed and the proper recep and circuit protection for your machine.

B) Purchase a 240V gas generator.

C) Search online for a 240V generator powered by a 120V motor. It would be quiet :thumbup: SOMEbody must make one.

D) here's a 3000 watt 120/240 converter for only $120. Your unit says 2900 watts so it might be too much. Search step up transformer for a larger unit.

I have seen guys use alligator clips on the line side of a panel for this type of work. Not the smartest thing I have seen.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Celtic,

Slightly off topic, but have you ever seen these "you can get 3 phase power out of a single phase service panel" gizmos (control box and a motor)? We looked into one as an option a few years ago to run a big saw in our shop. Any experience with them?
You can get 'em.
I installed one once...about 20 years ago...I think it was a phase convertor ~ or something :blink:
I could look [aka google] if you really need some info.

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
You can get 'em.
I installed one once...about 20 years ago...I think it was a phase convertor ~ or something :blink:
I could look [aka google] if you really need some info.
We ended up moving to larger digs that had 3 phase. I do remember that, though, a phase converter. Still have that saw, too.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
A flooring guy with no electrical experience is NOT a good thing.

You mean you have actually come across homes with only 120v services? I hardly ever see them and some of my area homes date back to the 1600 and 1700's. If there was a wiring system designed it was used around here at one time.

In fact I think I have only see three in my whole career.

For the ultra-rare times you might see a 120v only service, rent a generator.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
'Speedy Petey' everybody

A flooring guy with no electrical experience is NOT a good thing...
I must be the first case of a guy who ACTUALLY got by on his good looks. How else to explain 15 years in the trade with absolutely NO electrical experience?

You mean you have actually come across homes with only 120v services?...
I OFTEN see homes with only the following outlets:

For the ultra-rare times you might see a 120v only service, rent a generator...
My friends call me Forest Gump due to all the ultra-rare events that seem to define my life. The quantity of homes I encounter without 220 outlets is staggering. It is the cross I bear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts