Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of the scope in the project I'm on was to move the washer and dryer out to the back porch I closed in. The 110 was easy since the wiring was exposed and accessible in the ceiling and the home owner said there was 220 running to the pump house 4 feet away from the porch. I went to hook it up today and the pump doesn't have a ground wire on it. two hot wires with 110 but no ground going back to the house. If I hook this up to the dryer. (the pump will be unhooked) can I connect a ground rod to the ground wire and still make the circuit? I was kind of at a loss when I saw only two wires coming from the house.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So...Options? Run it all the way back to the panel that's about it huh?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was afraid of that. Looks like a belly crawl under a 10" crawlspace. Thanks for the insight but I was hoping for another way.
:sad:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Get the correct cable---you need two powers--a neutral and a ground---modern appliances have 110 controls so a neutral is required.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got 10-2 to run it Mike. I was just at a loss at what to do when the wiring to the pump was just 2 wires. I'm 86ing the pump house junction. I'll just run it back to the circuit that the dryer was on. That's what happens when you try to take a short cut. Makes me wonder how the pump ever worked.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I got 10-2 to run it Mike. I was just at a loss at what to do when the wiring to the pump was just 2 wires. I'm 86ing the pump house junction. I'll just run it back to the circuit that the dryer was on. That's what happens when you try to take a short cut. Makes me wonder how the pump ever worked.
It'll work.... just not code

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Should be 10-3--two powers--one neutral--and a separate ground--

Where are the sparkies?--I live in the last place on the continent that uses conduit----

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
How is using 10-2 w/g to power a 240v pump a Code violation?

·
Registered
732 Posts
There is no neutral on a 220v circuit unless you need split voltage. Each leg is 110 to ground and 220 across the hots.
Forgot to mention that I'm not an electrician so not sure what the real code is but I do know that there is no neutral required to make a 220v circuit.

That being said, listen to whatever 480 says 😀

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
mikeswoods said:
read the original post--he is wiring a washer and dryer,if I'm not mistaken----and had an old well pump circuit available---
Maybe, I thought he was going to share the 220 with the pump and dryer, his washer is taken care of already though

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
It'll work.... just not code
How is using 10-2 w/g to power a 240v pump a Code violation?
No Ground as I read it........ and SC wondered how it would work;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts