Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I like that my plumber is looking out for me.
Told him to price out 40 vs 50 vs 60gal tanks.
Specifically asked which gets me essentially infinite hot water. He said you don't wanna do that, it'd be at least 6 or 700 more to get there.
I said you're telling me that for $700 I can have infinite hot water for over a decade!? That's the deal of the century!

Waiting for specifics. I'll update when I find out what the 2021 NJ price is.

·
Punching above his weight
12,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was only half paying attention because when somebody says they'll write something down for me later I stop paying attention immediately after they say that, but I'm pretty sure he said 60gallon would give me infinite hot shower capability.
That sound right? My plumbing abilities end at sinks and toilets.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Side saddle 40 gallon on an oil burner was hot water as long as you wanted. It certainly isn't happening with a standard electric water heater.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I don’t see a 60 gallon getting you close to infinite hot water unless it’s a commercial unit $$$$. A 75 (gas) is considered the premium size for residential units. Relatively Affordable and produces a lot of hot water.

·
1 on 2
Mason
827 Posts
I've always had good luck with the Depot cheepo, 40 gallon gas burner. Well water seems rougher on them with sediment. Even with filters and regular draining.

Replaced last one in spring after 8 1/2 years before it broke (a first for me, lol). Rheem.

A house with 4 kids, never ran out of hot water. Have had 2 hours of mostly continuous showers before.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Side saddle 40 gallon on an oil burner was hot water as long as you wanted. It certainly isn't happening with a standard electric water heater.
I have a 40 Amtrol tank as a indirect water heater, endless hot water, in the summer boiler only comes on when tank temp goes down

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
I've always had good luck with the Depot cheepo, 40 gallon gas burner. Well water seems rougher on them with sediment. Even with filters and regular draining.

Replaced last one in spring after 8 1/2 years before it broke (a first for me, lol). Rheem.

A house with 4 kids, never ran out of hot water. Have had 2 hours of mostly continuous showers before.
I'm gonna have to replace mine soon. Scale from well water, can't even drain it anymore. Have to poke the valve to get a trickle. Previous owner apparently had a hard time finding salt for several years.

I've got a spindown to a 10x4.5 big blue, to an air injection full of catalytic carbon, then to the water softener. Only house on my block that doesn't have skanky sulphur smell coming from taps ;)

Edit to add - the spindown I got the wrong one - too fine, clogged all the time. Removed element. PVC with 150 micron before big blue would be better I think, I have a brass one with a 50 mic.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The size of the tank does not determine whether you get "infinite water" or not. It only changes your first hour rating. What determines your ability to deliver more water over an extended period of time is the size of the burner. Get a heater with a 100kBTU burner and you will have pretty good delivery, depending on your continuous flow requirements and the temperature rise requirements.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
We have an 80 gallon. Never run out on showers. Rarely run out during long dish/pan washing sessions.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
1 on 2
Mason
827 Posts
I'm gonna have to replace mine soon. Scale from well water, can't even drain it anymore. Have to poke the valve to get a trickle. Previous owner apparently had a hard time finding salt for several years.

I've got a spindown to a 10x4.5 big blue, to an air injection full of catalytic carbon, then to the water softener. Only house on my block that doesn't have skanky sulphur smell coming from taps ;)

Edit to add - the spindown I got the wrong one - too fine, clogged all the time. Removed element. PVC with 150 micron before big blue would be better I think, I have a brass one with a 50 mic.
Thx. I'll have to read that when I'm sober. 👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go commercial to get a larger burner and higher set temps that the DEPT of energy took away from civilian water heaters...

Add a mixing valve to protect the old and young from hot water burns......

Two 40/50 might be cheaper then one 75 gallon if you have the space.

A very large home might work better with two spaced out heaters..... or on different floors.

The quicker your heater fills a hot tub/jaccusie the MORE you will use them.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts