Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about that time.

Who's got the best water heater these days?

I've got gas, and looking for direct personally, but this isn't just about me!

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
In NJ you have to get a permit also, lots of people getting nailed when they sell the house. They want the money one way or another. A few new rules also, most of the one I see now have to have the power vent.

In old house chimney needs to be inspected too

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I have Rinnai.

I also installed a big rinnai tankless for my parents over 5 years ago and they like it.

My first house I had a Bosch, once I figured out the plumber installed the fan backwards it ran great for 10 years before I sold the house.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Buy what your plumber will supply and for which he can get parts locally.

Hint: if you buy a Rheem from HD, the parts and labor warranty involves hours of being on hold if it doesn't light, at least one extra warranty trip to assess, and then waiting for the parts from Alabama, which will be 4-5 days, plus another trip to replace the parts and see if they assessed correctly. This is what I just went through for a family member's house. Replaced the gas valve..no luck..and then the pilot assembly arrived two days later, which did the trick. Nightmare.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,433 Posts
Big thing out in Cali these days are heat pump water heaters. Very energy efficient, supposed to work well, not cheap.

·
Punching above his weight
12,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My gripes with the tankless units is that every one I've used takes forever to get hot. Talking several minutes of running the kitchen sink to produce hot water.
Uncool.

Two Rinnai, one brand I don't remember. All making me stand there waiting, and waiting.
I am more than willing to pay my way out of that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The navien has a 1 gallon tank that is kept hot to reduce the time for the hot water to reach the tap. Would be the same as a tanked heater as long as the plumbing run doesn’t take up more than the one gallon. I’ve never had to wait longer than for the tanked heater it replaced. No surge in heated water delivery.

It’s about 5 years old, no problems. Mine was about $1k, looks like they are about $1,200 +now and you can get more expensive ones with recirc. pumps.
I have the NPE 240A2, they call it a buffering tank. Condensing type, run on a 1/2” gas line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,722 Posts
Mine is gonna blow soon too. I'd like to have a dual system. I use to have the side saddle tank on the oil boiler, but that got a million pinholes and I had to give it up. Disappointing, it was stainless steel and I thought it would last longer than 15 years. So I had a spare electric 50 gal tank and installed that under emergency situations and it's been there for 5 years now.

I'd like to put a side saddle back in and have a heat pump hot water tank too. In the summer shut down the burner and go off the electric. In the winter when the burner is running to heat the house use the side saddle since it's essentially free hot water because heating that small amount of water compared to heating the house is minimal.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,722 Posts
The navien has a 1 gallon tank that is kept hot to reduce the time for the hot water to reach the tap. Would be the same as a tanked heater as long as the plumbing run doesn’t take up more than the one gallon. I’ve never had to wait longer than for the tanked heater it replaced. No surge in heated water delivery.

It’s about 5 years old, no problems. Mine was about $1k, looks like they are about $1,200 +now and you can get more expensive ones with recirc. pumps.
I have the NPE 240A2, they call it a buffering tank. Condensing type, run on a 1/2” gas line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My hot water is about 15 feet of pipe to the kitchen sink and another 10 to the upstairs bath. I turn on the shower and go to the bedroom and take of my clothes and when I get back - hot water.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
My hot water is about 15 feet of pipe to the kitchen sink and another 10 to the upstairs bath. I turn on the shower and go to the bedroom and take of my clothes and when I get back - hot water.
About 7 seconds to the kitchen sink and maybe 15 seconds max. to the master bath shower. It’s not scolding hot yet but that’s when the warmed up water first hits.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts