Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 275 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
9,205 Posts
Here's another one that explains some of the data in the above article.

Wiggly number to really try to pin down, as I'm sure both pro athletes and police would have more opportunities than John Q Public to wriggle out of a domestic abuse arrest.

·
GC/carpenter
40,970 Posts

·
Registered
Custom
12,596 Posts
Well it's settled. It's okay for players to beat their wives because it's done by others.

Mike.

·
9,205 Posts
I was just saying, "You can't judge a whole profession based on the actions of a few bad apples."

You know, like people that fervently defend the police do.

Unfortunately for all of us though, I actually read the whole sentence, which says that one bad apple spoils the bunch. You CANNOT have a bad apple and expect the bushel to be ok. Domestic abusers like Greg Hardy need to be ejected from their sport, like Greg Hardy was. Same with Ray Rice. They need to be ejected immediately once found guilty.

The police have a harder time dealing with this. The most gruesome example of this I've ever seen happened close to me, when a squad of police watched one of their own murder his wife in front of their children. They had the guns to stop him, saw what he was doing, and did nothing.
They are now all bad apples. Nothing will ever be done about them.

How do we keep ending up talking about bad policing today? I was ready for some football!

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,753 Posts
Back to "football of today".

I can certainly judge every football player who kneels during the National Anthem.

·
Registered
Custom
12,596 Posts
Go for it. Free country.
Yes, it's a free country... and the flag represents the sacrifice of others for that freedom to even exist for the people who disrespect it, which is why it's an exercise in futility trying to convince people to champion your cause while telling them they're racist for not supporting you disrespecting it...

Wasted opportunity... and instead of correcting course, they doubled-down... and here we are unfortunately...

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,753 Posts
From an email...

This is a wake up call for a you die hard NFL football fans. You should read this!!!
Some Folks Have Come to Despise the NFL. For fans who follow the sport, most of this will be a simple reminder of things you already know. For the rest, it's a wake-up call:

In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling before each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.

In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.

In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.

In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing "Find the Cure "eye black for breast cancer awareness.

In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem..).

In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.

2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.

So tell me again how the NFL supports free speech and expression. It seems quite clear based on these facts that the NFL has taken a position against any action by NFL players demonstrating RESPECT for any issue:

For God, social causes such as mental health, cancer, domestic violence, for cops killed arbitrarily, for being cops, or for the Memory of 9/11...

BUT they will allow demonstrations of DISRESPECT for our National Flag, our National Anthem, for America , and for the American People, if it will help mollify a particular Group and its supporters. That is who and what the NFL now has shown itself to be.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
How bout them Bucs though, huh?

That offense is getting into a groove. First team to ever play at home for a Superbowl?! I think they are superbowl bound! D looks nasty.

The country is first but dammit, I need a break every once in a while from all the bull****. I really wish theyd just say its over and they arent taking any political stance on anything, ever, players are free to do as they will.

Stop corrupting sports you ****ing ******* politicians. We all have always known guys who are broke that get rich, from playing a game, arent probably the best role models for our kids.

So stop making them role models to the morons who do, and stop making their political bent mean anything. I dont care what you think, I dont watch you because youre a deep thinker, do YOUR job and Ill pay attention. Holy ****!!! Is this really that hard.

Play sports, watch them or dont, enjoy life. ****!

·
9,205 Posts
I concur.

Haven't gotten to watch a Bucs game yet, but I check the box scores and it looks like things are coming along.

Pack done good last night against the Saints. 3-0 is a great way to start a season.

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
Ate lunch with an amigo last week and we talked about Brees. He had the same opinion of him i did, he was 100% my favorite qb. He grew up right up the road, won a state tittle for West Lake. I watched him in the state championship and I watched the quarterfinals game in person with the guy I was eating with, we were sophomores. He really won me over in the quarterfinals game, something like 3 4th quarter tds and won in the final seconds.

Too short, only major college to recruit was Purdue. I followed him all through college, destroyed big 10 records. Followed him from San Diego to NO.

Always respected his work ethic, on the field leadership, and that he would profess his faith and beliefs.

Seeing him roll over and put that scum bags name on his helmet, pretty much ruined the pro game for me.

Straight up coward.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,753 Posts
Last Friday, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his team broke with the pack to hold practice as nine other NFL teams canceled theirs in the wake of the police shooting of Jacob Blake. They put Blake’s name in big black letters across the front of their helmets in what Sporstcasting.com writer Stephen Sheehan called “a powerful visual signal.”

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton explained after practice that, “The idea of putting his name on everyone’s helmet was something we felt would be appropriate and they were for it.”

If Blake were an innocent family man who just happened to twitch during a tense encounter with police, this would all seem perfectly appropriate. There’s just one problem: not only was Blake aggressively resisting arrest in the incident that’s left him paralyzed, but he also had a warrant out for his arrest due to a charge of sexual assault.

According to research by The New York Post, Blake was forbidden from being at the Kenosha home where he was shot because of an incident at the same residence on May 3, for which there was an open warrant for his arrest. Based on police records, The New York Post describes the alleged assault:

The victim, who is only identified by her initials in the paperwork, told police she was asleep in bed with one of her children when Blake came into the room around 6 a.m. and allegedly said ‘I want my sh-t,’ the record states.

She told cops Blake then used his finger to sexually assault her, sniffed it and said, ‘Smells like you’ve been with other men,’ the criminal complaint alleges.

According to the complaint, Blake then stole the keys from the woman’s purse and took her car, at which point she called 911. According to her report, about twice a year when he had been drinking heavily, Blake would come around and physically assault her.

Now, it could be that Brees and his teammates hadn’t seen this story break when they headed out for practice, as the New York Post published this information that same day. Yet it’s been five days now, and Brees has still not apologized for lionizing a man who, by the same standard corporate media has applied to other individuals, Blake is a credibly accused sexual assailant, trespasser, and car thief.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/0...-the-name-of-an-alleged-rapist-on-his-helmet/

Reactions: Rio

·
Banned
9,351 Posts
Ate lunch with an amigo last week and we talked about Brees. He had the same opinion of him i did, he was 100% my favorite qb. He grew up right up the road, won a state tittle for West Lake. I watched him in the state championship and I watched the quarterfinals game in person with the guy I was eating with, we were sophomores. He really won me over in the quarterfinals game, something like 3 4th quarter tds and won in the final seconds.

Too short, only major college to recruit was Purdue. I followed him all through college, destroyed big 10 records. Followed him from San Diego to NO.

Always respected his work ethic, on the field leadership, and that he would profess his faith and beliefs.

Seeing him roll over and put that scum bags name on his helmet, pretty much ruined the pro game for me.

Straight up coward.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
As a lifelong rabid Saints fan I agree. I lost all respect for him. Him and his wife are both boot lickers

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 275 Posts