Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year. However, it should not be necessary to wait for the new year for you to decide to make changes or resolutions for either yourself or business.

I am constantly looking to improve and make things better. I fall off the horse alot but I get back on. And 2010 for me is going to be important to get off to a good start. Monday I am starting a 30 day program for personal and business development.

I have goals of changing my business completely this year. I no longer want or desire to frame anymore. As much as I love it, it's time for me to get my shop up and running smoothly and produce from there. I'm looking at mostly cabinets but in general custom carpentry. I have done some interesting projects this year and have really enjoyed doing them.

I also am fortunate to have someone here who pushes me on occasion to keep forward progress and I can't thank him enough.

Thank you Gus.

So do any of you guys have plans to put 2009 behind you and get off to a good jump this new year? I like Finleys outlook. Spring is going to be big. Bring it on!

·
Steve
317 Posts
I am going to continue to build on the confidence and trust my clients value so much. I am never the cheapest but they never regret the products I deliver and the professional manner I conduct myself. Best of luck to you and everyone else on the board in 2010.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I am happy where my biz is at as far as work and size. The thing I would like to get better is at technology getting some design software and maybe get some lead abaitment schooling. On the techno thing as of this week I am able to take CC on site. That is a big plus for me.
Don't see myself in a new shop this year but may get the land to build it on.

Personally will be mountain biking a lot more this year, gained some weight from not biking as much.

Cole

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I need to get my body mass index down by about 34 pounds and decrease my blood sugar levels a bit to maintain something that can get me an work offer in a far away place for 6-12 months. If I can achieve that, I'll be able to double my savings next year and learn some new things too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is the end of my first year in. I've learned PLENTY. This forum, and others like it have been EXTREMELY VALUABLE. I would like to thank all of you guys for helping.
1. My resolution is to stop working with the tool belt and start working as a business owner. Sale, market, network and manage.
2. Since I've learned more about overhead, markup, and profit, I want to apply the knowledge with more discipline in my estimating/bidding process.
3. I want to purchase, learn and use estimating and accounting software to help me achieve these goals.
4. Increase sales by 20%.

God Willing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WEPAC plans to serve as a resource for Lead-safe work practices (LSWP) and abatement information for the members of this forum, homeowners, landlords, community development and related associations nationwide. Additionally, WEPAC plans to develop the capacity of potential LSWP training providers to serve the, 13 or so, States and territories currently without any regionally-based LSWP training providers (according to the EPA's website).

My primary motivation will be, as it has always been, protecting the children that have been affected by this totally preventable situation, that is Lead-based Paint Poisoining (and elevated blood lead levels).

Wish me luck.

Have a HAPPY and prosperous 2010.

-The Westside Environmental Plan of Action Committee (WEPAC)

1,183 Posts
My plan is to pay extra taxes and fee's to the government in 2010. I also hope the EPA puts as many rules as possible to make it harder and more expensive to run my business.

Also although my unemployment tax rate went up 40% I will pay an extra 20% because the government needs the money.

God willing my President will hopefully open all the borders of our country and all the new immigrants who can start new businesses with no regulations.

I will also donate as much money as possible to all politicians, being a small business I am rich and can afford it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
My plan is to pay extra taxes and fee's to the government in 2010. I also hope the EPA puts as many rules as possible to make it harder and more expensive to run my business.

Also although my unemployment tax rate went up 40% I will pay an extra 20% because the government needs the money.

God willing my President will hopefully open all the borders of our country and all the new immigrants who can start new businesses with no regulations.

I will also donate as much money as possible to all politicians, being a small business I am rich and can afford it.:thumbsup:

Taking the easy route are we :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
377 Posts

40% ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even ny isnt that bad

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
I throw around the idea of just doing custom stairbuilding alot. For some reason I picked up on the math and all the aspects of framing and finishing custom staircases pretty quickly. It helped alot that after I did the first one the next 8 jobs were custom stairs. Really enjoy all the problem solving and thinking ahead involved for the diffferent finishes.

Other than that there are a handful of green building courses at Drexel Ive been looking into.

Most importantly continue to stay up on new materials, technique and technology in the building / carpentry trade.

Design new logo for loneframer.

Checking out Framermans photos taken with his new fixed lens.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I want to learn and improve on the tech side of things. Going to put a lap top in the truck loaded with everything from customers info to the Building Code.

I think partly, the trick is to pick the technologies that can improve your business. There is so much out there. Where to start?

I'm overloaded already. :shutup:

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
2010 Resolutions:

Wishful Thinking;
Take on more challenging projects that stretch my creativity.
Train my crew to perform all of the duties that I now do
Start working towards hanging up the pouches (after 25 years)

Realistic Thinking;
Keep all current employees working through the next year
Start more new residences and less remodeling, like the good old days!
Still be in business at this time next year

Best wishes all on a happy and prosperous new year!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I throw around the idea of just doing custom stairbuilding alot. For some reason I picked up on the math and all the aspects of framing and finishing custom staircases pretty quickly. It helped alot that after I did the first one the next 8 jobs were custom stairs. Really enjoy all the problem solving and thinking ahead involved for the diffferent finishes.

Other than that there are a handful of green building courses at Drexel Ive been looking into.

Most importantly continue to stay up on new materials, technique and technology in the building / carpentry trade.

Design new logo for loneframer.

Checking out Framermans photos taken with his new fixed lens.
Sounds like you have your priorities in order.:laughing: Good luck with the custom stair gig. I'd like to spend some time in a shop building curved stairs. I watched the guys bend up the rails on this project, way too cool.

Attachments

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
its really fascinating what goes into curved stairs for sure.
lots of jigs and foresight....

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That time of year. However, it should not be necessary to wait for the new year for you to decide to make changes or resolutions for either yourself or business.

I am constantly looking to improve and make things better. I fall off the horse alot but I get back on. And 2010 for me is going to be important to get off to a good start. Monday I am starting a 30 day program for personal and business development.

I have goals of changing my business completely this year. I no longer want or desire to frame anymore. As much as I love it, it's time for me to get my shop up and running smoothly and produce from there. I'm looking at mostly cabinets but in general custom carpentry. I have done some interesting projects this year and have really enjoyed doing them.

I also am fortunate to have someone here who pushes me on occasion to keep forward progress and I can't thank him enough.

Thank you Gus.

So do any of you guys have plans to put 2009 behind you and get off to a good jump this new year? I like Finleys outlook. Spring is going to be big. Bring it on!
I only remind you of the things you say you want. You have all the tools and desire to make your goals and dreams a reality. But thanks for the compliment just the same.

I already have a few very large projects on the books for this coming year. My goal is to produce them in a way we all enjoy doing them while being profitable. At the same time handle all the rest of the business that always comes up with shorter notice.
I have to work on better flow of information between office and shop. We need better and more info supplied to the guys in the shop as well as the trades in the field.
I need to find a great installer to sub work to that can be profitable at the rates we presently use. I need to like him too.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
My 2009 learning experience: Do not become COMPLACENT!:censored:

We had a great 2008 and start to 2009 - I became complacent about marketing and sales and the last half of 2009 slowed way down.

My resolution for 2010 and forever after: Plant and Harvest when things are good - It will bear fruit when things turn down.

Happy New Year and a Prosperous 2010!:thumbsup:

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Good thread framer...

Building 2 more specs this spring and will be moving forward towards multi-family development. We just started corresponding with HUD. 221(d)(4). Hopefully we are digging holes by summer of 2011 or early 2012.

The dream starts in 2010...

1000 units in 10 years
5 developments/200 units per
25/8 unit (10,000 sq ft/2 level slab structures including common areas)
Standard rental office, maintenance shop, club house, laundry/car wash area, pool and some garage storage. I'm a landscape freak so all my properties will be green and colorful.

10 more years of work and I'm all done. I'll be 56 years old. My daily responsibility will be tweaking out my management team and checking profit and loss statements. God willing.

Good luck to all you guys and god bless.

Going to Olive Garden tonight. Man I love those bread sticks. LOL LOL

Happy New Year!
Joe

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mine is going to be the same one it has been since I put on my GC hat. To get better organized in my files, reports, spread sheets etc.

I've improved a little every year but I still have a long way to go. It seems like every January I get motivated to clean up my bookwork and by Dec. I look back and think WTF does this mean? :wallbash:

I know I'll get it with a little head scratching and paper shuffling but I do hate this end of the business. I'd whole lot rather be out in the cold making sawdust.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
for 2010... marketing! got to find more effective ways to sell my services.
Purchase a trailer for the tools.
Purchase more tools! not so many as this year, but that kapex keeps calling.

get more advanced software for the accounting side of the business.
Might get a "tablet" type of portable computer, for doing quotes.
Pay off the credit card! got the suv paid off the other week :clap:

buy something terriffic for my wife :)
plant a garden.
get back to fishing, its been several years since I weilded the fly rod.

lose weight! not comfortable being a beluga (I never met a chocolate I didn't like)

stay calm, other's anxiety is not mine. oooohhhmmmmmmm

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts