Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WorldSkills is a competition of high school students who are competing by showcasing their talents in shop/industrial education and business classes. Every 2 years, students gather from around the world and compete. Here is this years results:
http://www.worldskills.com/index.php?option=com_results&task=media&Itemid=405

I was lucky enough to attend this event and I saw kids doing things with sheet metal I thought was impossible, amazing talent !

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I read this when you first posted it. I have to tell you that I said “OK?” to myself.

All I saw was a database of names and numbers. Although I thought it was neat that some kids were still interested and involved in hands-on technical endeavors, there was nothing to this post to draw me in.

Today, I read your comments on the “turn in a hack” thread. I thought maybe I had missed something important here. I came to look again. I guess I’m still missing it.

Was there, perhaps, a news story associated with this competition that could help us understand a bit more about it? Something that might bring this, graphically, into our world? Even THIS inspires me to look deeper......... though it is still not too much of a deep, personal involvement avenue.

I agree that working with the next generation is a worthy and worthwhile mission. But I’m having a hard time making this submission relevant in my own life.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is WorldSkills?

What is WorldSkills? Take a whole bunch of shop students from around the world, put them together in one shop and give them a challenge, for example build a cabinet. The best student is the one who builds the best cabinet. For more info:
http://www.worldskills2009.com/scheduleofevents/wsc2009overview_g18n7f.cfm

The first link I posted was the results of the WorldSkills competition that took place in Canada. US students (and other nations) who are enrolled in shop class and how well they did compared to the rest of the world. I thought most of you would have been aware of this cometition seeing as it revolves around the trades and it is in our best interest to support it.

The US had a poor turn out and less than stellar results. Fewer kids are going into the trades. I'm in the trades and the results really concern me.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I work with "at risk" kids. It's a psychologically based behavior modification program. And we have some success. But when I've tried to approach local contractors about apprentice type construction programs, the interest level could be well... somewhat more inspiring. Frankly, most contractors around here just don't seem to give a damn.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apathy

Yes, I sense apathy towards our response in creating more interest in the trades and building credibility while doing our noble work. Good on you for helping the at risk kids. I wonder why we don't spend more energy telling the world with pride what we do and supporting those that school us? Somewhere along the line our building and support network lost its steam. It wasn't always like this. I once met a man not long ago, an old timer, a guy I've wanted to meet for some time. I thought it a good idea to meet and listen to his lessons and gain wisdom. I said to him, you must be "insert name here". He said to me "no, you can call me plumber". He was dead serious. This guy had so much pride in his work that he wanted to be known by what he did as a trade. As for the schools running shop programs with spit and glue, the very existence of the programs - metal working, plumbing, carpentry and masonry, developed because industry was not happy with the kids coming out of school. Industry required a well trained work force and industrial education
i.e., industrial arts/vocational education was the answer. The concept started in around 1930. Since the 90's the concept has been dying a slow death. I get the sense that this chat board is a reflection of the trades, a representation of the lethargy that exists. Given the power of media we have at our finger tips, and the vast number of people who visit CT great things can happen. Have a look at Ramp-A-Thon. How do we expand on this ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts