Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister bought her home about 8 years ago. Its a story and a half with vaulted ceilings on the second floor. This appears to be a remodel that was done by one of the previous homeowners. She has had no problem with condensation up until she had her roof replaced two years ago. The house is pretty old and apparently there were two or three layers of roofing on it. The roofer did a complete tear off and reroofed the house.

The ridge runs east/west in Wisconsin. The shingles on the north side of the roof are curling and the shingles on the south side are fine. The roofer inspected it and told her that the reason the shingles are curling is because there is no venting between the rafters and the sheathing. I tend to think this is a logical conclusion without seeing it or doing any demolition. Together they were able to access a crawl space and cut through some vapor barrier. The sheathing and insulation felt slightly moist. The roofer additionally told her that she probably didn't have previous issues with condensation because the three layers of roofing didn't provide a tight seal and allowed air to leak out. Again, this makes sense to me.

Couple of things that don't make sense is the fact that only the north side is curling and not the south side. Additionally, is the fact that the old roof had two vents on each side. The roofer installed 4 vents only on the north side when he redid the roof. This make sense to you guys?

The roofer who did the work is reputable and has been around for 25 years. Without inspecting it I can't say it is due to a bad installation or not, but based on the facts I tend to give the benefit of the doubt.

Any way to vent the space between the rafters without ripping out all the drywall and insulation? I can't think of one. :cheesygri

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
need more information.

1. underlayment...15, 30 or synthetic.
2 new wood deck?
3. age of building.
4. what is inside the north side vaulted ceiling.
5. any ice and water shield used?
6. pitch of north side roof.

any and all info would be helpful.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I still haven't seen it other than a few pic's my sister sent me of the shingles, but I did recommend a couple of roofers to check it out and get a second opinion. One of them told her it was a bad install. One of them agreed with the original roofer that the insulation and drywall was installed with no venting when the attic space was vaulted.

Any idea if she can claim this against her homeowners insurance? Astrix...? Bueller...? Anyone? :)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
The ridge runs east/west in Wisconsin. ?

The roofer inspected it and told her that the reason the shingles are curling is because there is no venting between the rafters and the sheathing.

That's total crap. First of all no roof vents between rafters and sheeting. They vent out the exhaust. The hot air of the attic rises and escapes thru the exhaust. In your case, there is no attic space, and usually the 6 inches of space between the decking and the sheetrock is insulated. No attic space, no intake, no need to exhaust. Ive laid a hundred roofs with vaulted ceilings and the shingles are fine. The problem could possibly be that the roofer installed 4 vents on one side. He probably put them right next to each other and one is sucking air from the other and only cycling air right there around the vents. Sounds like a gable roof no? .. Do you have any soffit vents (intake) and Im assuming the north side is the side with attic space? south side is vaulted? We are going to need to see those pics.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
Still missing some info, but quick thoughts

Bad Install - probably not in this case for the shingles, for other items it could be contributing

Ventilation issue - yes to some extent though hot roof systems do work just fine

The biggest issue is how is the moisture getting in there? If there is no moisture in the cavity you wouldn't be having curled shingles

The second biggest issue for this type of roof is they are filling the cavity with fiberglass but not a closed cell product thick enough for the climate to prevent the dew point from being reached. In this case baffles should be running the whole length until they reach either the ridge vent or a mini attic

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
IMO this can occur of a few reasons, some of which SLS listed and I agree that inadequate attic ventilation or excessive moisture build up will cause this issues as well. In addition defective material, improper installation could also play a role here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here's a good question I forgot to ask and realized it later.
What kind of asphalt shingles are these? The roof is stated to be 2 year old and the roofing industry has gone the way of fiberglass based shingles for several years now.
Fiberglass shingles are not prone to curling due to the fiberglass mat. Over time they become brittle and more prone to 'breaking' rather than curling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts