Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I wanted to share some pictures, of a deck restoration we just finished up. I have to say this was one of the most difficult and tricky decks we have done, there was a ton of detail work, and being that we were over water their were alot of environmental procedures we had to follow. But in the end it came out great, and I just wanted to share.

We used Ready Seal Dark Red 030.

Hope Everyone is doing well

John

Before Pics below

Attachments

·
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed
1,024 Posts
Nice job. I do believe I know exactly where your job was. It seems to be in Waterford on FM 2094. Am I right? That is the most disgusting display of wealth I have ever seen in there. Those people are feeling no pain in these depression times.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job. I do believe I know exactly where your job was. It seems to be in Waterford on FM 2094. Am I right? That is the most disgusting display of wealth I have ever seen in there. Those people are feeling no pain in these depression times.

Jimmy, Yes this is right in the area, and yes this community is not hurting in the slightest

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Care to share your procedure and mat's for cleaning over water? Here or pm.

I have not been able to get any info on this.

Maybe I should google it?

Btw, great improvement on both projects.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Care to share your procedure and mat's for cleaning over water? Here or pm.

I have not been able to get any info on this.

Maybe I should google it?

Btw, great improvement on both projects.

No problem discussing it here,

Generally with a deck like this, we would either use, Sodium Hydroxide, to clean and strip, and Oxalic acid, to neutralize the PH.

But being we were over water, using caustic cleaners was out of the question. So we used Sodium Per-carbonate, it is biodegradable, as well as safe for vegetation, and fish in the water.

This makes life a bit harder, but will keep us away from the 20k fine.

As far as the staining went, this was the tricky part. First we laid down heavy trailer tarps, all over the undercarage of the deck, to catch any drips, or excess stain that would try to enter the water. Being this was an oil based sealer, we had to take every percaution. Next on any vertical surface, and really any surface, when we started spraying we used a 5 foot by 5 foot ply wood shield, to block any stain that wind would try to take with it.

This deck took a bit longer, but was well worth it.

you can call me anytime if you have any questions, its all about balancing the ph in the wood before you stain

·
Registered
11 Posts
there was a ton of detail work, and being that we were over water their were alot of environmental procedures we had to follow.
Would be interesting to know what exactly you are referring to and how you handled the environmental procedures. But you have done an outstanding job. Recently visited Priest Lake resort in Idaho, they need to upgrade their water deck to something like this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts