Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer of mine has a dog-care facility and is moving soon to a larger location.

The location she is moving to used to be a tile store many years ago and the front portion of the store has all different types and sizes of tile on the floor to show off. It's one of the areas the dogs will be penned.

She asked about re-grouting. Though I haven't seen the tile, she says most of the grout is gone and she can see the bottom of the grout line.

I've read a few older posts here about re-grouting...just want to make sure I'm correct.

If the present, old grout is still in decent shape, it should be removed...with an oscillating tool being the tool of choice.

If the grout is missing, new grout can be put down without too much done to the area.

A thorough washing should be done of all tile to get rid of the years of dirt and any oils present. One all this is done, new grout can be put down. The grout line space should be moistened before applying new grout.

Am I on the right track so far?

The second question....is there a grout that should be used to prevent stains from dog urine? They constantly mop up accidents but dogs will be dogs. Any particular grout I should be using?

Thanks.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Use a CBU scoring tool with the carbide tips to rip out any loose grout, if the grout is shot it's easier than using a multimaster.

Grout with epoxy.

Reactions: Robie

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Most showrooms I've done were set over tar paper to facilitate demo later on. I'd inspect it and find out. If it checks out commercial epoxy would be the grout to use.

·
Registered
Custom
13,230 Posts
Robie, you are going to be re-grouting anyway... pop one of the tiles up (that can be easily replaced if broken) to see how much adhesive and what's underneath....

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
The multi master bits are expensive and don't last. You could also use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. You may have some knicks in the tile, but once you get the touch you can cut a pretty straight line. Two day laborers and carbide scrapers gets my vote.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I agree with the others. More than likely the tile will come out easy.

After that I would not go back with tile. We (subbed it out this time) just did a vets office with an epoxy floor. Looks nice and solid. Great for cleaning up all that pee and poo.:thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Missing grout can indicate movement in the tile but it can also indicate a bad mix.

Test the tiles as stated. I would first test then by placing both my feet on each tile (if possible) and applying alternating pressure to see if you have movement. No movement, then begin removing the grout. If during the grout removal you notice movement, try pulling a tile.

I using a combination of methods already described in this thread. I don't do much hand tooling as suggested. No need with a multi tool or saw. To much risk chipping the tile. Recently we started using the saws for most if the work. Finishing with a multi tool and a few hand tools (1/4" flat head, a few picks and a grout removal tool.

As for multi tool blade cost...if you by cheap you get cheap crap. Spend some $$$ on good blades and they will last a whole lot longer.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I do barter for some of the price for day care for my pup.
'Doggy Day Care'. What kind of moron takes their dog to day care?? Oh wait...That's me :laughing:. Well, I used to with my last dog. Took him 3 times a week for his 'Play Dates'. Wasn't too pricey, something like $20/day.

Anyway...Like others have said, if the grout's gone the tile is probably loose and quite possibly laid over felt. For a vet, an epoxy floor would be perfect for animals. If the budget doesn't allow for that, then epoxy grout is your best bet. Just don't warranty it.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I first got Cleo, she was a 4 month old mutt from the SPCA. She was extremely "forceful" shall we say, with other dogs. The owners of the other dogs were a bit worried about her being too aggressive.
A customer had gotten a pup a week before I did and told me the day care place does "testing" to see if a dog is allowed to come and play with the other dogs. I was a little at whit's end as I'd never owned such an aggressive dog...especially such a young puppy.

Cleo passed with flying colors and I was told she just needed some socialization with other dogs. The owner needed work done and so we started bartering.

I take Cleo to my jobs but when it's too hot, I take her to day care. I almost have to hold her up to eat at the end of the day she is so tired. Now, I take her maybe 2-3 times per month. It's healthy for her...gives me a little break as needed and she enjoys the hell out of it. Mine also is $20 per day.

I know...nuts. But, she has turned into a great companion and is my buddy.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hard to believe this runt could have "from the gut" growls and snarls...attacks other dogs and try to bite their ears off.

She turned into this....

Reactions: charimon

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Cute pup! Like yours, they were worried about my dog playing well with the others. He was a Rott and Chow mix, with some Aussie Shepherd in the mix. Big (115-120lbs) and playful. He thought he was a lap dog and would crush your nuts when he wanted to lay in your lap :laughing:. Had him for 15 years and I miss him. Now we have a cat :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
8 weeks ago my daughter brought home this.
14lps of fluff, she is now 41pounds and 25" to the shoulder.
Krya is going to be a big girl, the breeders females hit between 110-130, she gets rice and raw butcher scrap for supper. Better than I eat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts