Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 neutral/ground bars in my main panel. Does it matter which one I use? I need to add another breaker.

One of the bars has a big feed to it and the other bar has a relatively small feed to it. The big feed is black with white tape and the other is solid white.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm going to suggest an electrician.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Sounds kind of weird. Is this the main panel, meaning is there another breaker feeding it or is this the first panel after the meter? Is there a breaker in the meter box?

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Do you currently have white and ground wires on both bars. The smaller white wire could be the netural feed for a subpanel somewhere else in the home. The two bars could be connected. What brand of panel is it?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
ryan, it was stated that it was the main panel.
Years ago it was not uncommon to have the neutrals and grounds tied together in the main breaker box even though there were seperate strips for each.
If anyone REALLY understood electricity,,,, there would be no need for me to ponderously go through NEC 2005 + local codes.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Teetor, he does state it's the main panel, but also that he has a separate conductor to the neutral and ground bars. Why?
I suspect he has a main breaker outside. I'm just puzzled why there is a white feeding what I assume is a ground bar.

This thread was started two going on three days ago. The OP is MIA.
If we could get some answers to a vague original post we could help.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm as puzzled as you. I'm guessing that he posted all over the web and someone eventually told him what he wanted to hear.
'Bout the same as me going to the doctor. LOL Colonoscawhat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts