Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my BILs place and trying to get him to make a decision.

Is having one big bath with a door entering from the main hall and another door entering from the master bedroom a stupid idea? Or is it better to split it into two smaller baths with separate entrances?

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to ask the woman who lives there what she prefers. If you don't, it will be the wrong decision, either way.

It's not a master bathroom if it has an entry from the hall. Is there no other bathroom for guests and kids?
If we went with one it would be the only bath on the main floor.

I convinced him to go with two.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I have a bath entrance from the master and one from the living area. It's not a problem but it depends on how many people are in the house. I'd rather have a bigger bath than two tiny ones. On the other hand, having a private dumping ground is nice.

If you do two baths why not make one a powder room and add a couple more feet to the master bath?

PS- I just built a bath with six doors. I don't even want to talk about it.

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
2 bathrooms is the way to go!! 2 doors to one bathroom makes me crazy!!!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
My in laws have a bath with two doors in their basement. I hate it with a passion. Everytime you go in their you have to worry about closing/locking two doors. And then their is the random bozo who will forget to unlock on of the doors so you have to go all the way around to enter.

Go full and half bath/powder room if possible.

I think having a dedicated master bath with help resale value a lot.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good god Shane, send me a sketch of the layout and I will see if I can help with it.

Door from Master and door from the house proper! Ptthhh! The mere idea doth offend me terribly.

Andy.
Hey Andy, this is a super quick, nasty sketch in paint, not to scale.

The idea is to have a door from the hall to the main bath, and one from the master to the master bath. We can't really take much more room from the master bedroom or the dining area.

BIL insists on a stand up shower in the master bath.

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
1 bathroom with 2 doors is a terrible idea.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Many of my neighbors have that set up. Think it was popular in my style house(bi-level) When i redid my bathroom i closed off the other door. It limited the usable space. The wall with the door became useless in what was already a small bathroom.

Note: as someone else stated was great for the emergency middle of the night dump.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
Two baths would be 7 x 6 1/2 each.
Does that mean you have a 13x14 space?

It that's the way it is I wouldn't split it like that. Pull aside a 6x8 space for the hallway 1/2 bath and the L shape left over can be used for the master bath.

Hell my full bath is just a bit bigger than 6x8

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does that mean you have a 13x14 space?

It that's the way it is I wouldn't split it like that. Pull aside a 6x8 space for the hallway 1/2 bath and the L shape left over can be used for the master bath.

Hell my full bath is just a bit bigger than 6x8
No, I have a 7 x 13 1/2 ish space. And the hall bath needs to be a full bath, it is the only one in the house besides the ensuite.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts