Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Design Build
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this project we are replacing all the painted trim with clear cedar 1x8 (at $50 per 16' board just in material costs). I was amazed at how tight the grain was on older cedar.

I wanna hear from the guys who actually worked with wood like this.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
What do you want to hear Maxx? :laughing:

the board on the left grew
in a real forest, no one "managed" it.
I've been working on my
1950 windows, and the sills
go at least 30 rings an inch.

·
Design Build
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I guess the lesson is "Good things take time"

I hated taking the stuff down. It was true "clear" no knots. I have always loved cedar, but I never knew that the cedar I knew was nothing compared to the old stuff.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Yep! Old growth vs. new growth. I'd save as much of the old stuff as possible for small projects.

Ye Olde Woodshed is 16 X 24 X 18H, costs me $300 a month and is consistantly a revenue generator.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I guess back when cedar was everywhere and really cheap, they didn't care to mill them out plain sawn, so it was all quarter sawn. Now that cedar is more scarce, they mill them out plain sawn. Because you get more lumber out of the tree that way, downside is you will have cupping.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I had one job where we were working for an architect, it was Snohomish. The guy fancied himself as a FLW prodigy or something. He had this soffit detail of Cedar "beams". They dropped (60) 2x8x14 Clear VG Cedar in my yard and I proceeded to cut them up into 42" lengths and then rip tapers out of them. It was an awful feeling doing that.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,386 Posts
The tree farms spread the trees out more, allowing more light & water for the tree thus it grows much faster. They want to re-harvest in 25 years. Old growth or virgin cut wood comes from dense forest where the trees are much closer together.

Back in the early 80's when I first started building decks I rented a warehouse & forktruck so I could buy wood in truckloads. Occasionally we would get old growth cedar & redwood with tight growth rings like that. Cedar 1x12's that were clear & a full 1" thick, never seen boards like them since those days.

I'd save all that cedar you can Wall.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I have int doors that where made from 1000 year old reclaimed cedar that was submerged, the wood is like a fine wine , smooth, stable , and beautiful, GMOD

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
I had one job where we were working for an architect, it was Snohomish. The guy fancied himself as a FLW prodigy or something. He had this soffit detail of Cedar "beams". They dropped (60) 2x8x14 Clear VG Cedar in my yard and I proceeded to cut them up into 42" lengths and then rip tapers out of them. It was an awful feeling doing that.

Whats all that mean?:sad:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I had one job where we were working for an architect, it was Snohomish.(a wet place) The guy fancied himself as a FLW (Frank Lloyd Wright)prodigy or something. He had this soffit detail of Cedar "beams". They dropped (60) 2x8x14 Clear VG (vertical grain/quarter sawn)Cedar in my yard and I proceeded to cut them up into 42" lengths and then rip tapers out of them. It was an awful feeling doing that.
Whats all that mean?:sad:
Pretty close anyway....:laughing:

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
It seems to me that they would flat saw everything. Imagine how big the logs were, you would still get quite a bit of VG out of a whole log.

Looking at old wid plank flooring, and wide old trim boards in the same houses, one can almost see how the whole log went together/came apart.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
It seems to me that they would flat saw everything. Imagine how big the logs were, you would still get quite a bit of VG out of a whole log.

Looking at old wid plank flooring, and wide old trim boards in the same houses, one can almost see how the whole log went together/came apart.
With big logs, that was usually
the strategy.
Somewhere I've got charts of
how they quarter sawed whole logs.
Lots of waste.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I bought an old fixerupper a few months back. Records show it was built in 1936. Haven't paid that much attention to the windows, but was told they were cedar. Interesting subject, the difference in the old and the new. May just keep them in the house if I ever decide to do reno.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I was just looking at some scrap
SYP from a recent job, 5 rings/inch.
I have a little 2X12 YP bench made
from scrap from the mid 80's and
it's got 26 rings/inch.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts