Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey quick question.. I just removed the old tile from around my tub from the 60’s. One end of the tub is about 1” from the studs. How should I remedy this issue? The other end of the tub is nearly flush with the studs.
DD3880AA-0F24-4BED-B53F-2AA5FEA33542.jpeg
DD3880AA-0F24-4BED-B53F-2AA5FEA33542.jpeg 2D8BCB42-A3C7-494F-A58A-1A42D973E4CE.jpeg

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Keeping the original tub is not a good option?
Depends how much you like that cast iron blue tub. If you keep it (cast iron is good), maybe have it refinished. As for the walls, pad them out, and run the board nice and tight to the flange, and read up on sealing that gap.

The Johnbridge tile forum is a good place to take this home project, btw. They'll walk you through it step by step.

·
Contractor
7,327 Posts
Furring strips.

It’s one of those tubs with a barely perceptible lip.
Yep, I have one of those blue tubs in my house.
It has leaked a few times, until I demoed out one wall and retiled it. Sealed everything up real nice.

Future plan is to eliminate that cast iron beast. But for now she's water tight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,823 Posts
Completely off topic, but I did a bathroom floor in a ‘60’s house several years back.

It had been built by some playboy-wannabe doctor from Hollywood, evidently.

One bathroom was baby blue.

The one I did was pink. Everything was pink.

The tile in the walk-in shower, the tub, the tile in the tub surround, the sink, the toilet, the fixtures, everything. 😳🙄

Owner wanted to keep it in tact, just for nostalgia I guess.

The replacement pink tile is completely different color.

I worked VERY carefully on that job. 🤣

·
Registered
Remodel
29,077 Posts
Some of those old fixtures were pretty cool. There was one on a cast tub that looked like an airplane and 2 propellers, stylized.

Couldn't get it apart fast enough to save it.

·
Registered
GC
607 Posts
Depends how much you like that cast iron blue tub. If you keep it (cast iron is good), maybe have it refinished. As for the walls, pad them out, and run the board nice and tight to the flange, and read up on sealing that gap.

The Johnbridge tile forum is a good place to take this home project, btw. They'll walk you through it step by step.
I've never seen a refinish that lasted on steel or cast iron. It's just a paint job, and will never come close to the durability of porcelain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts