Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you guys typically handle these? Replacing a vanity in a 1950 home. No leaks with existing. Trap and waste arm are the older (heavier) thin-gauge, and need to be adjusted for depth. Tilework is tight so I can't see the wall connection. Do you cut and fernco, or open the wall and replace the arm? Client wants to keep it simple, but wondering how you draw the line on these jobs.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'd open the wall --enough to see if there is a trap adapter or a soldered connection---if it[s soldered---I would,most likely, open the wall enough to add a new T and trap adapter---

Do you have the tools to cut the old tile and plaster?

Do they have the money to do this right? Leaving the old chrome tube is a failure waiting to happen---that's some old piping---

·
Registered
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd open the wall --enough to see if there is a trap adapter or a soldered connection---if it[s soldered---I would,most likely, open the wall enough to add a new T and trap adapter---

Do you have the tools to cut the old tile and plaster?

Do they have the money to do this right? Leaving the old chrome tube is a failure waiting to happen---that's some old piping---
Yup, I have all the tools. Thanks for the confirming the "eventual failure" part - snapped me back to reality. This client may be ok with it. I just wanted a second opinion since I do a lot of jobs with tight budget and short time-horizon (home sales).

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,219 Posts
If it's 60 years old, replacement is definitely a no-brainer. Unless you like callbacks that cost you more than you grossed off the job. :laughing:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always replace those with the vanity out its alot easier then fixing a leak after its back in. most of the time if you squeeze them they arent in as good shape as they look on the outside.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I always replace those with the vanity out its alot easier then fixing a leak after its back in. most of the time if you squeeze them they arent in as good shape as they look on the outside.
Yep, they rust from the inside out. Don't ask.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts