Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,898 Posts
That's what that picture was.....(last one)

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what that picture was.....(last one)

I told you they spun some big cutters on it, that is a cutter straight from the catalog/manual that came with the shaper.

I still did not find the RPM's but, by doing a little math on the ratio of the pulley size, it should spin right at 10,000 rpms, maybe a shade under.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Cool shaper!

So I assume that's a steel bit instead of carbide since it's an OEM bit? Bet that doesn't last too long before needed a sharpen :laughing:

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool shaper!

So I assume that's a steel bit instead of carbide since it's an OEM bit? Bet that doesn't last too long before needed a sharpen :laughing:

I would think it was high speed steel.

The mill shop by my house only uses HSS, says it leaves a better finish but, needs a bit more attention vs. carbide.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

I'm always a little worried about screw tightened cutters that could fly apart with
centripetal forces. But I do know that they have used those since the '20's, and Amana continues to make them. So I guess I just a little paranoid

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm always a little worried about screw tightened cutters that could fly apart with
centripetal forces. But I do know that they have used those since the '20's, and Amana continues to make them. So I guess I just a little paranoid

I am already developing a fear of sharp spinning things, thanks for fueling the fire. I am not sure if I am going to buy knives for those or get new cutter heads.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,898 Posts
Should we start calling you three finger Warner or just Lefty?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,898 Posts
Nice $400 donation. Put a frame around it and hang it on the wall.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Should we start calling you three finger Warner or just Lefty?
The problem with those multi-piece cutters isn't losing fingers, it's getting gut shot or worse.

My dad has a moulder head cutter for his old Sears 1/2" arbor table saw with replaceable knifes. I too scared to use it, could get a shot right into the middle of the forehead.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,898 Posts
That is why they have serrated cutter now. But those are pretty safe. If you feel a little nervous put some red Loctite on the leading edges where they meet the hub. Nothing is going nowhere if the nut is tightened properly.

I only get nervous when I am using a rub bearing on a 5" panel cutter spinning at 10,000 RPM. Hearing the noise, seeing the blur of the cutter just sitting there in open air is a bit concerning. I have a few other rather large cutters that I use rub bearings on that should put a bit of fear into you.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Can you get parts for that thing, that sucks.
Did you know it was broken when you bought it.
From reading other post on it,
I thought it was plug and play, just needed three phase.

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you get parts for that thing, that sucks.
Did you know it was broken when you bought it.
From reading other post on it,
I thought it was plug and play, just needed three phase.

I didn't know it was broken, I don't think the guy I bought it from did either.

I can get the whole assembly with all the rods, gears and such but, it costs almost as much as the shaper did.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts