Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House was built 1910. Two additions were built later, one being a two story. I thought the adds were post ww2. They used 2*4 drywall like panels on the ceiling plastered. Bead board on the walls. The floor had hardwood, yellow pine. The floor actually matches the floor in main house. It is all long boards 14' +, various widths 2", 2.5" ,3" ,3.5". Does this still sound post war? The floor has not been reused (in other words pulled from the porch).
Was just wondering about when they stopped using this type flooring. I thought the add was built almost 40 years after the house, now I am thinking maybe not.

They have crimped metal roof, where as the house has slate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, thought about it and the addition has knob tube wiring running thru it. It is definitely an addition though.
The trim doesn't match, door casing, picture rail, but it's close. I just thought by the 2*4 drywall it was post war. Maybe it was upgraded. It was great the hardwood matched tho, I had to "steal" some for living room floor. Any other way to tell around year of additions? Wiring, actuall 2"*4" s .......

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Very frequently--the 'addition' to a farm house is actually the original home---

so the addition may be older than the main house.

See Eric Sloans books for a great explanation----

1 - 3 of 3 Posts