Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,869 Posts
Little to do with the balance of the door and more likely a great hinge system.

Huuuge...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,567 Posts
Little to do with the balance of the door and more likely a great hinge system.

Huuuge...
Leave it to you to pivot the topic.

Reactions: Easy Gibson

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,869 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
28,623 Posts
I think they're using balance incorrectly. The upper and lower pivot holes have to be plumb. That's incredibly easy.

Getting the holes polished and cylindrical (if that is what they are) is more laborious.

I'm surprised archeologists hadn't recognized that the wooden architrave kept pressure off the Intel over the door, and allowed maintenance of the pivot.

They're pretty vague about changing the pivot pin, with only a mention of soap to do it. Probably they drop some soap, and when the door bends over to pick it up, BAM, new pivot pin.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,146 Posts
I think they're using balance incorrectly. The upper and lower pivot holes have to be plumb. That's incredibly easy.

Getting the holes polished and cylindrical (if that is what they are) is more laborious.

I'm surprised archeologists hadn't recognized that the wooden architrave kept pressure off the Intel over the door, and allowed maintenance of the pivot.

They're pretty vague about changing the pivot pin, with only a mention of soap to do it. Probably they drop some soap, and when the door bends over to pick it up, BAM, new pivot pin.
I bet they'd pay well to have you do a better job.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I thought the church 10’s was a workout. The craftsman of those days. Brute strength, a lot of thought & minimal hand tools. My grandpa always carried parafin wax for doors. Would be interesting to have video of those being built

Mike

·
Radical Basement Dweller
23,487 Posts
Here's a closeup of one of the doors.
I'm finding a conflicting information that say these aren't the original doors but were replaced in the 15th century.
What we see today is the 3rd Pantheon that was built after the first two burned. Hadrian was responsible for this one.
The bronze on the exterior of the dome was stripped long ago to make cannons.
Just not a lot of information on the doors.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So are you saying that the foreman’s pin wasn’t big enough or he wasn’t fast enough to get the pin in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The largest door I ever installed was a 12‘ x 30 installed at Otis elevator test facility in Bristol Connecticut.

And yes the hinges were huuuuge!

Reactions: hdavis
1 - 19 of 19 Posts