Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen or put studs at 19.2 OC? Here residence is 16" OC and a garage can be 24" OC but I've only seen floors @ 19.2 OC, until yesterday. Was putting in wall ties and the garage wasn't on 16's or 24's. Wised up and found the studs @ 19.2. Never seen that before

·
Registered
585 Posts
Never seen it but always thought it was a pretty good idea... Only issue would be that I don't think they make fibreglass batts that size. Would be a good compromise between saving material, more efficient insulation and structural stability (I've found some 24" O.C walls to be flimsy)...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've built two houses in the past ten years where almost everything (exterior walls, ceiling joists and roof rafters) were on 19.2 centers. Both had 2x6 exterior walls. I liked the fact that all of the joists tied into the rafters.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I've never seen 19.2 insulation. Anywhere they use IRC you can use 24" OC in certain cases, like up to 2 stories with 2x6. IRC doesn't mention 19.2 for walls. I bet drywallers would hate it too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We worked for one builder that had2x4 walls and floors 19.2, trusses 24. Then they went 2x6 walls and made floors, walls and trusses 24

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may not have noticed but many tape measures have a little black diamond every 19.2 inches. Insulation batts not an issue as I used spray in fiberglass in both of them. Not sure why it would be an issue for rock hangers. Used 5/8" rock on these projects.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
JT Wood said:
why would it be canadian? I think it's more of an I joist thing
Someone told me that a long time ago. I was more asking then telling. I though it somehow worked it's way to metric or something. Like I said though, I've never seen it used. Everything we do is 12oc 16oc and 24oc

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yes truss joists, are spec'ed for 19.2. Most good builders will still put them at 16".
Can end up as a pretty bouncey floor.
Never seen studs at that spacing though.
Builders don't want to pay for blocking in cabinet areas. I hate 24"

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Someone told me that a long time ago. I was more asking then telling. I though it somehow worked it's way to metric or something. Like I said though, I've never seen it used. Everything we do is 12oc 16oc and 24oc

24" x 4 =8'
19.2" x 5 = 8' (doesn't work good with fractions.)
16"x 6= 8'

It Is just to save on material. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
There's an old company here that builds developments and cheap spec houses, that builds everything on 19.2 OC. They are the only ones around here that does it.

You know if you do any work on an old house, and everything is 19.2, it's a Town and Country house....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts