Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Keeping them cool will help to getnthem to charge but to cold is another problem also. If you can keep them 60 to 70 degrees they will charge the best

·
Registered
840 Posts
Li-ion will be a problem as Owatta mentioned. Its a cool Idea though.

I am an employee and not a boss but I own 6 3.3 Hiltis and if one dies I just switch to the other and at the end of the day take the dead batteries home and charge them then.

I take care of my tools but even I do abuse them, batteries on the other hand are little girls though. You play to rough and they wont work again.

So if you want to be cordless invest in a couple more batteries.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
A cooler works great. You don't want them ice cold, so put a towel over the ice or something to regulate the temperature a little.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Might want to try reusable ice packs vs ice. less chance of water problems and probably will not cool them off too much either.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Sometimes you can't charge batteries when they are hot/warm.. Like going directly from tool to charger.

Try fans in shade for a few minutes.............I think a ice bath is a bit extreme.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
With the ni-cad, the batteries will last longer if stored cool, i generally load 4 into a small cooler in the morning with a gel-ice bag. When one is low It goes back into the cooler and a fresh one grabbed out. Throwing a hot one on the charger is hard on them

Lith-ion are basically the same when it comes to storage and heat issues.

Since i started this system the batteries seem to last 3x longer

·
Registered
840 Posts
Does the Hilti charger not have built in cooling fans? My Makita will not let the batteries charge when hot but the fan in the charger cools them pretty quick.
The one supplied when you buy the tool is fan less. You ponie up and buy the bigger charger and it comes with a fan and a temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had some DeWalt NiCad's that were failing. Places them in the freezer over night, and them thaw for a day. Worked line new again! Well, I got another year or so out of them. After that they were toast, and the freezer trick didn't work. This does not work with Li-Ion.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I take care of my tools but even I do abuse them, batteries on the other hand are little girls though. You play to rough and they wont work again.
What age are we talking about here, I may have reason for concern. I don't want to be caught handling my little girls or even worse burying them in an ice chest.:laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
We keep the new Dewalt batteries in the shade, and let them air cool for awhile before charging.....now the XRP batteries, that was another tale. They would not ever take a charge when the battery was hot, and in the heat of summer, we indeed placed them in the top of the ice chest for half an hour to cool them so they would charge. The charger had a light that indicated "hot cell".

The Li batteries are a great improvement over the NiCads.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We keep the new Dewalt batteries in the shade, and let them air cool for awhile before charging.....now the XRP batteries, that was another tale. They would not ever take a charge when the battery was hot, and in the heat of summer, we indeed placed them in the top of the ice chest for half an hour to cool them so they would charge. The charger had a light that indicated "hot cell".

The Li batteries are a great improvement over the NiCads.
Opposite problem in the winter.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
So, I live in Florida. It has been known to get a little warm here. :whistling
Been using Dewalt XRP's for about ever. I have at least a dozen charged and ready as we speak. Never really had any issues to speak of.

But if you are having issues, and putting them in a cooler helps, then go for it. It sounds like a logical thing to do.

·
1,745 Posts
I had some DeWalt NiCad's that were failing. Places them in the freezer over night, and them thaw for a day. Worked line new again! Well, I got another year or so out of them. After that they were toast, and the freezer trick didn't work. This does not work with Li-Ion.
I've got a dead one now. Gonna give it a try.
Even if I get another month, it's better than the paper weight it is now.:laughing:
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ya, I kinda abused my batteries last week- had to let them cool off before they would charge. An Ice chest is good, it will cool them faster, but just remember that the core is way hotter than the surface. Give them time to equalize in temp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts