Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

18th century home with 6 fireplaces, what to do with them?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jlsconstruction 
#1 ·
The house I own was built in 1786 and located near portsmouth New Hampshire. There are 6 fireplaces, one having a beehive oven. Most of them have been painted black but the paint is in poor condition. Anyone have an idea of what to do or what would look good? Is there a paint color out there or product that's supposed to be the same color as the original brick? I thought I saw that somewhere but I'm not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow. Thanks!

#3 ·
Welcome to ContractorTalk! It's the usual thing to post a thread in the Introductions forum, telling us a little bit about your business, what brought you to C.T., etc.

As for the fireplaces, what would you tell one of your customers, if they asked for advice about the fireplaces in their home? Do you do fireplace work?

#4 ·
If you're a mason, then you must realize that the mortars used in that time period were very soft (maybe lime-based) and you have to exercise *GREAT* care to not damage the mortar or you'll have a mess on your hands.

I'd find someone that specializes in restoring Colonial-era masonry and get their opinion.

#11 ·
I am a contractor but I've only been in the business for 10 years, I am currently 26. I've never heard of a mason around me that specializes in restoring old fireplaces. Just wanted to know the best method other contractors have used. I thought that's what this site was for? Lol. I've never had a job to clean paint off an old fireplace. I've only just dealt with cleaning burn stains. I've used several products to try an clean fireplaces that local brickyards have sold me and they never seem to work well. I've used acid to clean brick and it seems to do ok. I've always wondered about a dry ice blaster. Has anyone used one of them before?

#16 ·
What about a heat gun? I'm more asking then telling him to use it.

And after it's cleaned up re point it. Use like mortar like they used in the old days.

I think the mix is 7 sand to 1 lime. I could be wrong on that, we used it in college as practice mud because you just get it wet again when it dries out

#17 ·
There could be lead paint present, so I wouldn't use a heat gun. The brick could absorb some of the paint too....after the top layers come off...then you have real trouble. Gel strippers are one of the best for this type of job.

7:1 is a practice mix only.....and waaaay to lean. The lime mortar I have come across looked closer to 2-3:1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.