Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Frank H. Clement #2 Combination saw bench.

It was really made for the purpose of ripping lumber. It will carry up to a 20" blade, but I am going to set it up for a 16" blade to start out with. I had done a little cleaning and poking around right after I brought it home and prepped it for a quick tear down.

I decided that I was going to hurry up and get this going since I just finished up my chain mortiser.

The top is rough, worse one I have had.

Saw design is simple, handle in front raises and lowers the yoke that the arbor rides on. Arbor can be adjusted 4 ways.

I have the original fence and the original counter shaft that was supplied with the saw. The hangers have FH Clement cast on them.

Attachments

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw and fence are all done. I cut new shims for the arbor bearings, installed some rag spoils in the oil well, cut new wicks and installed them.

I also went through and did the same thing to the bearings on the counter shaft.

The counter shaft is all cleaned up, painted and ready.

I am just waiting on a new paper pulley for the motor and to get another machine done so I can go buy flat belting for both of them at the same time.

Need to decide whether I am going to run a 16", 18" or 20" blade.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So is restoring old equipment what you do between building hardwood decks?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
And bathrooms, porches, wood storm windows, 3 kids, etc.:whistling:laughing:

I also have another machine about 75% done too and bought and sold a couple during the last few weeks too.

I even sleep in.
Yeah I do a bit of work too but I like to space it out with vast quantities of alcohol.:shifty:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
Ever think about adulterating the top and having it reground? Maybe take 10 thou off of it to spruce it back up and make it perfectly flat again.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Warner,
you and my uncle Bryan would get along good. He runs the family farm now and has taken most of grandpa's tractors and restored them to new condistion during the winter. And will use them during the summer monthes working the fields. He also will make many of the parts for the equitment or build whatever he needs to farm with.

His shop is full of old machines that are used for working metal. All restored just like you do with your tools. Thats awesome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
how/where did you learn to work on these things? or do you just make it up as you go along?
they always look nice in the end.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ever think about adulterating the top and having it reground? Maybe take 10 thou off of it to spruce it back up and make it perfectly flat again.
I would actually like to on this one, but I can't find anyone with a big enough metal planer. Yes, I want it planed just like it was.

I will not have the top Blanchard ground, it does not look right on these old ones.

The top is not really messed up as far as ripping lumber is concerned, I was just kind of disappointed as this was the only top out of the bunch that did not turn out nice when cleaned up.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how/where did you learn to work on these things? or do you just make it up as you go along?
they always look nice in the end.
I pretty much had to teach myself. I have a couple friends scattered around the country that use a lot of babbitt bearing flat belt machines, that helped me out when I questions here and there.

A planer is a complex machine to tear apart and put back together, this table saw is super simple.

The biggest problem is how much each individual piece weighs.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Looking good D....:thumbsup:

Even if I do hate babbit bearings....I give all the credit in the world to you for bringing these great machines back to life.!!!...

just don't hold it against me about my oppinojns on Babbit's, .....I never waffle in about your RPC Love that you so adamantly try to ram down my throat now and then.......

Your persistent..... no doubt about it......

Looks great D!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

B,

on a side note......
Leo,...
I think the thought of a Blanchard ground head touching that table would put D in paralysis........

......it would kill the character of that saw to be honest,...." iMO. "..... But you know what they say about opinions........

There like a........and,everyone yada,yada,......

B,:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
1 - 20 of 88 Posts