Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a old farm house may 31st of this year. Been pretty busy so work is slow on it.

A little history of the place. Same family owned it since 1875. The mom passed away in nov 2012 at the age of 98! Born and raised in the place. The youngest son is 67 years old and been trying to get the history of the placace from him.

image-2344580991.jpg

image-125760056.jpg

image-3283184720.jpg

from him.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I like the looks---it would be great if you could restore the exterior to it's former appearance----you are lucky that it has not been modified and 'modernized' to much.

This winter will give you time to figure out the best plan to spruce up the exterior.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikeswoods said:
I like the looks---it would be great if you could restore the exterior to it's former appearance----you are lucky that it has not been modified and 'modernized' to much.

This winter will give you time to figure out the best plan to spruce up the exterior.
I got pics from 1912 that show the outside of the house is exactly the same as it is now minus the shakes on front. My plan to keep it the same as it was in 1912. The second story windows are from 1951. Downstairs they put plastic one in in 1985.

In 1951 they redid the whole interior of the house. It has stayed that way till 1981 when they changed out the cabinets.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
image-3362943420.jpg

image-181357586.jpg

image-125608505.jpg

I been looking for a old house that hasn't been changed or ripped apart. Pretty happy when I got this place. Quiet road . Two acres of land and part if a river in front across the road.

Wood floors in the house. Just pine ones painted. That small door leads to a unfinished attic above the kitchen.

These people were very very furgel in spending money on the house. In 1951 was the last time any major work was done. More pics coming. Kids want to go work on the house today.

image-543205999.jpg

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TimelessQuality said:
What's the sign out front?
ita

It's a sign the electric company gives to 100 year old farms. The family wanted it back so it can sit in tier garage I guess. I really wanted it to stay. Since I am gong to keep it the same.

I will get pics of this oak tree. I bet it was a seedling in 1900. The thing is huge

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
Very cool. Keep the pictures coming. It's too bad it doesn't look to have the original casings and trim in the interior.

Man, that looks like one tall ceiling. Or you are very short. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
image-115450878.jpg

Ok we're going to skip over to this building for today. This used to be a one room school house that the dad attended sometime in the late 30's or so. In the 40's after the war they moves the building to its present location and then used it for storing grain.

In the late 50's the government shut down all these small one and two room schools and pushed everyone into the new schools that would hundreds or thousand of kids all in one area. There are still quite a few one room school houses converted into houses around my area. It's neat seeing them.

On the top of the roof is a cupola . What is hard to see is the school bell is still in there! Very cool. When I get time I will get up there and take a pic of that.

image-3192367887.jpg

This is the pic of the upstairs. Logs with the bark still on them. All the beams are rough cut with a axe. It's not very big. About 22'x26'. The building is sitting on 4 large rocks. That's the foundation. Been like this for over 60 years. Sits above the ground about 17" and is in good shape with no rotten wood.

That's it for tonight .

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VinylHanger said:
Very cool. Keep the pictures coming. It's too bad it doesn't look to have the original casings and trim in the interior.

Inside is cheap trim . Been there since the 50's. There is some original trim in the stairway but that's it. I found some matching trim on cl and thought that isn't going no where. Well some bastard bought it before I could make the trip.

Once the house is closer to be ready for trim I either got to make it or try and find some of that tall base that used to be installed. Probley next summer or winter on that.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B.Scott said:
You've got to replace those windows.
You got that right. I would like to put the wood double hungs back in. But that a later project. Got alot of research to do on that subject. I will try to get the pics of the house back in 1912 on here. I think the upstairs windows may be from that time. That would be cool

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VinylHanger said:

I missed that! That's my youngest son going though a very short door into a unfinished attic. Future master bath. Yeah that door needs to be taller but it will keep the girlfriend skinny for now.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Very cool project, should keep you busy. I wish I had been able to find something like that a couple of decades ago, when I still had the energy to do the work required!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I do work for a woman whos the 6th generation in her house. She's got a picture of her father's grand father (about 4 years old), his father, and grand father standing in the front yard when they finished building.

The cool part is they planted some trees that are maybe a foot tall in the picture, that are still there, but now like 80 to 100 feet. I cut a pine down for her that wasn't in the picture, 92' tall and 132 growth rings.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mudpad said:
Very cool project, should keep you busy. I wish I had been able to find something like that a couple of decades ago, when I still had the energy to do the work required!
I was lucky to find one not hacked up. So many of them get modernized and lose the old charm.

As for energy this is probley my last one I do . It sure is hard doing construction from 7 am to 5 pm and then go work on your own house. Easy to get burned out. Plus I want to move down south when I finish this place. May use this as my summer house . My sons still live here so when they get a little older I will see what they want to do.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jlsconstruction said:
I do work for a woman whos the 6th generation in her house. She's got a picture of her father's grand father (about 4 years old), his father, and grand father standing in the front yard when they finished building.

The cool part is they planted some trees that are maybe a foot tall in the picture, that are still there, but now like 80 to 100 feet. I cut a pine down for her that wasn't in the picture, 92' tall and 132 growth rings.
That's awesome! My Gramma's house was built in 1881 when her dad came here from France. He and his brother got caught hunting on the kings property and skipped town. Came to Michigan and built the farm house she still lives in. The family still farms but the house has been remodeled many times.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
Let me know Gary, I could make you the sash parts and storm frames along with anything else you might be missing.
Thanks! When I get closer to the windows I will get ahold of you and we can go over what I got to work with and what can be done. I would love to have wood storms and screens back on again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts