Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Depot near you stock and sell unfinished trim moldings and 1x pine lumber in long lengths?

Just curious. They don't in the one near me.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,849 Posts
I don't know if they do , never buy trim or lumber from them. But I do know my local yard does and is more then willing to deliever or load it into my trailer for me.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Unfinished trim (FJ paint grade pine) is available in lengths up to14' I think.

1x pine is available in lengths up to 12' although HD material quality is usually pretty low compared to an actual lumber yard. If I had to use any 1x from HD for trim the poplar is generally not bad.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Here the PFJ pine is available up to 16' and is cheaper than the lumber yard. Same quality too.

They are also much cheaper on the poplar 1x material than the yard is. You have to pick and choose a little better with that stuff though.

They have unfinished pine up to 12' like Emm said but that stuff is kinda pricey and not great quality here.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
They sell it here too.. but I've yet to see a piece that is perfectly straight. I've never needed or wanted to use sections longer than 9-10 feet because I've yet to see a room that has a perfectly straight wall or level floor. Cutting a 45 and then nibbling out some of the material on the inside of the joint makes it easier to match the contour of the wall.

I don't claim be a carpenter.. That's just what works for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
Here the PFJ pine is available up to 16' and is cheaper than the lumber yard. Same quality too.

They are also much cheaper on the poplar 1x material than the yard is. You have to pick and choose a little better with that stuff though.

They have unfinished pine up to 12' like Emm said but that stuff is kinda pricey and not great quality here.

You can get 16s here. To the cost, I got some 3 1/4in colonial @ 1.73 LF , the door we installed was 2 in short , went to local lumber yard grabbed 3 1/2 in colonial @ .98 LF .

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Ohteah said:
You can get 16s here. To the cost, I got some 3 1/4in colonial @ 1.73 LF , the door we installed was 2 in short , went to local lumber yard grabbed 3 1/2 in colonial @ .98 LF .
3 1/4 colonial is $1.11 LF here

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've seen 16'ers there in some stuff. The question is why buy 16s there? The only real reason to get trim there is to buy just that one 3'2" piece you need for a small job -because they measure/charge by the inch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts